News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 Cadillac Coupe Deville Resto

Started by Jeffrey Miller, March 15, 2011, 12:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffrey Miller

Hi all,

I'm starting a thread about the restoration of my most recent project, a 1954 Cadillac Coupe deVille in Newport Blue/Viking Blue w/ blue crest fabric and dark blue leather interior.  First let's start with it's history.  My car serial 546227375 was purchased new at Fred A. Carleson Company, 535 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, Utah on 4/14/1954 by Dr. D.A. Harvey, who worked for the Utah Soil Conservaton Commission.  As far as I can tell Mr. Harvey and family owned the car until around 1986(per title records that I have) and then sold the car to Gene Gane of Sandy, UT.  The mileage stated on the 1975 inspection sticker receipt is 89681 and now sits just past 90K presumeably original miles.  It had very little rust, evidence of rust repair indicates that the lower 1.5" of the rear quarters were cut out and new metal welded in( I haven't checked the front fenders, but I'd assume they have been repaired in the same way. The car came with lots of receipts,some dating back to 1959, insurance cards, and even the original owners ID card! Most everything has been done to the car already.  It's been painted, chrome work 90% done, engine/trans rebuilt, and brakes 95% finished.  All of this done prior to my taking ownership so I just have to tie up loose ends and reassemble some trim pieces and have the interior completed.  It seems this 54 Cadillac has been a project for quite some time, as the chrome receipts are dated from 1992! I almost decided to give up hope and just resell the car as is and let someone else finish the car, but recently I've decided to finally finish this project in memory of my mother.  I've lovingly named the 54 "Linda Sue" after my mother.  I hope to complete the car by this time next year.  I've just now started to get excited about bringing this car back to life...I want to see how well it drives compared to my 56 Sixty Special that I let go to acquire this car.    Without further delay, some pictures! The front bumper assembly is not the original one from this car( the previous owner provided this one as a good core as part of the transaction as I agreed to let him keep the other as part of the deal).   Forgive my bad camera skills and the car is a tad dusty. Enjoy!

D.Yaros

Looks like a great project to me.  Is the interior as nice as the exterior?  Have fun!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Jeffrey MIller

David,

The interior door panels, rear kick panels/arm rests, and headliner are all in decent condition, but the seats are shot and the foam is showing on both the front and rear seats, so overall I'll say that the interior is shot.  It will be done back in the original style, but I'm not sure if my pocketbook can afford leather at the moment, so that may be done in a similar/close shade of vinyl which is good enough for me..I know it won't be correct, but it will be close.  I'll post pics of the interior when I can. 

Jeff

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Jeff, I also have a 54 CDV. The interior would only have been leather on the actual parts that you sit on [the bits that aren't cloth ofcourse !]. The rest was a matching vinyl, so you could do the lot in the vinyl with the V crested fabric and only you would know !
Good luck,
PHil

57flw

Hi Jeff,

Lucky you to find something so nice to begin with.

Looks like a lot of the hard and expensive work has been done.

Good luck with the rest of it and as Dave said. Have Fun.

Ken
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

Jeffrey Miller

Guys,

I'm gathering parts right now to finish the car and one question I have is about the AC compressor.  I was told by a good friend and Cadillac restorer/collector that I should convert the AC system to use a newer A6 style compressor(it's more modern and less troublesome) he told me.  The one on the car now I'd say is shot and I'd rather not rebuild it(I've seen those estimates).  This would be the one thing that I would be willing to change on the car from stock.  My question is this...is there already somewhere that I can buy the mounting bracket and lines from or do I need to get this fabricated?  I have a remanufactured A6 waiting for me at work, but I'd like any and all input.

Thanks!

Jeffrey Miller