News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'31 V-12 Convertible Restoration -- Wheew!

Started by Raw Tin Rod, December 01, 2011, 10:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raw Tin Rod

Howdy y'all! Would it be appropriate enough to begin this potentially long 'n' tangled thread with a brief intro, followed by a squirmy confession? Okay then: Over my 54 years I've been called by different names, but my friends just call me Rod, and I'd be tickled if y'all would do the same. I reside in the southern section of California (San Diego County), and I've enjoyed a good, long run in the auto restoration trade, but almost enough about me...

Here's the squirmy confession: Even though my coworkers 'n' I have been crankin' out the Cadillacs for a private collector for years, I've waited this long to pop into this forum -- and here I'll confess that it's 'cause I'd like to make use of the classified section in order to find homes for some good leftover Cadillacs 'n' parts. Shameful, ain't it? I could 'ave/should 'ave contributed somethin' long ago, and now after sniffin' around in here I realize that y'all could 'ave been real helpful with things we've had to figure out the hard way.   

Anyway, here's a very recent photo of a car we're nearly finished with. It's an off-frame rotisserie job, a long, long haul in fact.

Since takin' these photos (looks like they need resizing), the car has been all detailed, waxed up, and driven into a big trailer for transport to its new home. Do any of y'all ever get this feelin' at the end of a long restoration? I swear I feel like I've given birth to this ol' car, and like any other offspring, there comes that time when we 'ave to let 'em go.

So there's a very short version of a very long story. The entire restoration of this car has been documented in detail, but not published anywhere outside of a small private forum -- for hot rodders, and believe it or not, they liked it. If any portions of the project would be of particular interest here, I'd be happy to slide bits 'n' pieces of the long story over. There are hundreds of high-res photos. Downsizing 'em all wouldn't be practical, so just know that they'd look cropped 'n' crowded here -- like the two above. Even so, I'd be willin' to post some more.

In the 'tween time, I'll look forward to gettin' more acquainted. I think I missed the boat by not poppin' in sooner.

Raw Tin, or just plain Rod

Chris Cummings

Welcome, Rod.

That's a beautiful car and I'd love to see photos and hear about the restoration and the car's history.  These are magnificent automobiles and the people who owned them were very interesting folks.  As a teenager I owned a V-8 with the same body style as that V-12.  I started the restoration but when someone offered me seven times what I bought it for, I took the deal.  I love the way that they stamped the body style number AND the body serial number on all the trim parts, like the cowl vent doors.  Truly amazing beasts.

Best regards,

Chris Cummings
CLC 20072

Marc A. Thurston

Rod - Great looking car!!!  Welcome to the forum.

Marc
Marc A. Thurston
1932 7-Passenger  Fleetwood V-8 Cadillac

billwhite

Rod, one beautiful car sir. i also have a 31 conv 370a v12.my car is incomplete, particularly the engine. do you have parts sources? instructions? bill white. bwhite@hmwhite.com 1 313 549 0115

Dennis Brown

Rod  -  Absolutely beautiful restoration!  I'm just starting to re-do a 1928 LaSalle Sport Coupe in San Diego County.  Where do I find correct era material for headliner, seats and carpet and where would I obtain old bolts without hardness markings?  I hope you can assist me with this.   Thanks,    -  Dennis Brown

Art Cutler

I'm in the process of restoring a 31 370 Coupe - would like any advice you could send my way.

Thanks,

Art Cutler  CLC 15689
Series62, CLC #15689