News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

WTB 1932 Cad/LaS Battery Box large countersunk machine screws

Started by shammatt, January 20, 2012, 12:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shammatt

There are three different large tapered countersunk machine screws that attach the battery box (and matching tire chain box) cover to the inner front fender wells.  I am in need of at least 3 (maybe all 4) of the short machine screw.  The longest and middle sized screws are OK, but hopefully someone has a donor car with some of these screws available.
Thanks for any assistance.
Steve Hammatt
360-661-6060
Mount Vernon WA USA
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com
www.earlycadillac.org
www.brassbuicks.org

Terry Wenger

Steve:

Have them made new by Tioga Stainless LLC. in Burlington VT.  (802-655-9671) Polish the heads and install. I did mine along with a lot of other '32 items such as the high crown Acorn nuts in 1984 on my '32 355 TSD and they still look great.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

33 LaSalle

Steve, if you have John at Tioga make new pieces for you please
let me know as I missing them on my '33.

I am missing all three different sizes of the screws and don't have
a sample of any to supply John to have him copy.

If anyone else has extras or a reproduction one I would appreciate
hearing from you.

Andy Smith  #24270
Andy Smith  CLC 24270

shammatt

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com
www.earlycadillac.org
www.brassbuicks.org

robert G. smits

Steve, if you have a these screws made I could use a set.  I am missing two on my 32.  Thanks, Bob Smits #2426
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

Wayne Womble 12210

You will need the special washers too.   I could use a set too if you get them done.

Paul Ayres #5640

Steve - The parts book is very confusing on these screws.  It lists two each of 5/16-24 by 1-11/32, 1-3/4, 2-1/2, and 5-3/8 inches long.  We know there are only 4 total, so are all 4 lengths needed?  My 1933 V8 convertible is still in pieces, so I cannot measure the needed lengths.  Once the lengths are known for certain, I would like 2 sets.  Be sure to specify oval head screws when you order.    Paul Ayres #5640

Johan Boltendal #158

Hello all,

Be certain there are 4 screws needed and all are different as far as lenght is concerned, thread is different in pairs.

Johan

shammatt

I agree, there must be four different screws.  I have examples of the three larger sizes and by reference to the Parts Book, can identify all 4 lengths.  What I need is a photo of the shortest bolt so that the details can be determined.  The photo I posted in the updated original thread posting shows the second larger screw.  Can anyone add a photo (or send it directly to me) of the shortest screw?
Thanks.
Steve
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com
www.earlycadillac.org
www.brassbuicks.org

shammatt

Thanks to Johan and Wayne for the photo.  However, we're still left without the photo of the shortest machine screw.  Anybody out there have an example?  I know it's hidden anyway, but it's nice to have a look at an original<grin>
Thanks
Steve
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com
www.earlycadillac.org
www.brassbuicks.org

Johan Boltendal #158

I have it now and will post it's dimension later Today, changed the lenght of the longest one, will measure this one again as well, I'm not sure if it was measured before or after the picture was made. Johan

Johan Boltendal #158

Went to the storage and took the screws out to measure them all . Picture shows A B C and D

2x 5/16-24   A-D 1.440   B-C  0.665  C-D  0.460
2x 5/16-24   A-D 1.910   B-C  1.125  C-D  0.462

2x 3/8- 24    A-D 3.000   B-C  1.000  C-D  1.675
2x 3/8- 24    A-D 5.843   B-C  3.158  C-D  2.468

The picture shows a slight different lenght for the 2 longer 5/16 screws, I measured the one that came with the car, the other cover, turned out to be slightly different in height, so I adjusted that one.

Slightly off will not make them useless, there is a bit margin as you will understand. I made these to fit my car specifically.

Johan