News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Series 62 conv Frame off

Started by 59, January 06, 2013, 08:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soon to be starting the restoration of a 59 convertible here in beautiful Las Vegas NV.  I would like to document it as well as keep it looking as close to factory specs as possible but there are going to be a few modifications including air ride and front disk conversion.  To begin can anyone point me in the direction of some literature regarding factory assembly markings and stickers, specifically for the chassis? 

This will be my first Cadillac restoration and I would really appreciate opinions from the more seasoned Cadillac builders.

Thanks and looking forward to a great project.

Sean Roe

Hi Eric,
I bought a '59 convertible last year that needs to be brought back up to full speed. I'll be watching your progress.
Good luck with it!

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

The club has a number of authenticity models but unfortunately not one covering 1959-60. Go on eBay and buy a factory manual and a GM body book for 1959. There are lot of memebers here who are glad to help if you post good clear pictures and ask "what's this?" or "what next?"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Cadillac-Repair-Shop-Manual-59-Deville-Eldorado-Series-62-60-75-Fleetwood-/160944565167?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item25790b2baf&vxp=mtr

That's a link to a reasonably priced reprint manual.

There is also a modified chapter of the club that can help with the air ride and disc brakes.

Blade

Eric, I also just got a 59 Series 62 Sedan to be restored and I'm also new on it. Drop me a note and hopefully we can share some info. The first thing I definitely got is a factory shop manual which is very useful to study the car before I start working on it, and also you can find some useful videos on Youtube.

Hayden P

I have just started a 1960 Coupe deVille frame off resto... I can vouch for asking questions on this forum... there are some VERY informative and VERY experienced and VERY helpful people here !

Look forward to watching on !

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: Brad Hemingson CLC #18437 on January 19, 2013, 12:23:02 PM
The club has a number of authenticity models

Where are these and can I find  one for a '58 Biarritz? Where to find GM Body book?

Thanks

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

http://store.cadillaclasalleclub.org/category_s/1818.htm

The link is on the club homepage under "Publications"

The GM Body Book is widely available in original or reproduction. I bought mine on e-Bay.

Hayden P

What the ? The CLC doesn't have a 59-60 Authenticity Book ?

Does anyone have one ??? Do they even exist ??? (Not the Shop manual... I have that)

52Cadillac

If the 59 Authenticity manual isn't in store it's not available. It has not been made yet.
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

76eldo

With the popularity of the 59's and 60's, and all of the frame off restored cars, how is it that no one every created an authenticity manual for this car?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bill Caddyshack

Talked with Mike at the CLC store and he said they are working on a 1959-1960 Authenticity manual, but no date set.

I bought one of the 54-58 Manuals. Eager to get it. Thanks, Brad for mentioning it was available there.