News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need tips on painting stainless trim

Started by Allen Blackmon, March 25, 2013, 09:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen Blackmon

I need some tips on how to paint the stainless hubcaps and side moulding on my 76 Eldorado. My first attempt was not successful.
I purchased the self etching primer and black trim paint from Eastwood like a good boy. I applied the primer per directions on the can. Let it dry for 20 hours and applied the trim paint. I let it dry for 6 days. When I pulled the masking tape off the hubcap the paint came with it. I tried using a razor blade to cut the paint at the edge of the masking tape, but the edge of the paint would chip. Anybody have any good suggestions. I really want the hubcaps painted like the originals, but I may go to vinyl film if necessary.

Allen
Allen Blackmon
CLC #18647

1973 Eldorado convertible
1976 Eldorado coupe

lou-q

You should take the tape off while the paint is still tacky.
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Allen Blackmon

Thanks for the tip. Do you think I should use an epoxy primer and paint instead of the spray cans?
Allen
Allen Blackmon
CLC #18647

1976 Eldorado coupe

N Kahn

Sand or scotchbrite the stainless before painting with self etching primer to give the paint something to grab too, it's laborious but you ave no choice and like Lou says, remove tape before the paint dries 100%