News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 DeVille interior wood trim

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, September 12, 2015, 04:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Who restores those wood trim panels?
Cost?
Quality?
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Chas

1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Scot Minesinger

They are actually not real wood.  Best bet is used, they are not that difficult to buy good quality for reasonable prices.  I bought a set of 5 pieces - passenger dash and four doors for under $200.  Try e-bay, or used Cadillac parts places such as "Cadillacs Only", USA Parts, Cadillac King, and/or Honest John's.  The dash in front of driver is in multiple pieces and not easy to replace or inexpensive to buy.  The steering will will need to be restored - try Gary's in PA.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

John Abend

I actually have the dies to cut new dash pieces for 1970.  Had them made along with all my other veneer dies.  As Scot mentioned, 1970 didn't use real tamo wood, just faux woodgrained vinyl. So, if you needed them in real wood veneer, I could make them for you.  If you need them in original vinyl, wouldn't know where to get Tamo wood pattern.
John Abend

'68 Sedan deVille Hardtop
'74 Eldorado Convertible
'87 Allante Convertible
'15 XTS Platinum VSport

Scot Minesinger

John,

You have the dies to cut all the wood (in real wood veneer) for the instrument cluster?  That looks like some complicated multiple small pieces and some with non flat surfaces.  I have a 1970 Cadillac so I can write IMO the instrument cluster is kind of the weak link in the styling of the car, maybe the real wood improves the dash.  Can you post a picture of a 1970 Cadillac dash re-done in real wood?

How does the wood hold up?

Thanks,

Scot

John Abend

I made some for a few people in the past but can't find the final pics of their dashes they sent me.  They fit real well with only the clock veneer needing a little flexing to fit and no crack at the bend.  It's a lot of work to remove the old trim to be able to put the new wood on.  I'm working on some veneers right now for the 65 Eldorados and 68-70 DeVille Convertibles so I may just prep some veneer and cut a dash set for the 69-70 so you can see them.
John Abend

'74 Eldorado Convertible
'87 Allante Convertible
'15 XTS Platinum VSport

Scot Minesinger

I see you have a 1970 DeVille Convertible, is dash real wood or original?  If it is real wood, post a picture please.

John Abend

Have to update the car list,  sold the 70 last year.  It still had a mint original dash in it.
John Abend

'74 Eldorado Convertible
'87 Allante Convertible
'15 XTS Platinum VSport

Scot Minesinger

We like the same cars.  I have a Dodge Charger R/T w/hemi I bought new in Sept 2005, still running as new. 

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys.
I'm using the word wood loosely. I have some real nice  DeVille  door & 1/4 trim panel "wood".  I'm trying to determine a fair price. I do not have the dash pieces.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

cadman56

John,
If you manage to make the dies for a 68 convertible, including the dash part, would you be able to make the pieces out of something besides rosewood?  Thanks, Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

John Abend

Originally, you were asking who restores the panels and possible cost.  As for selling a good used set, if it's for a 1970, they're about $30-40 per panel depending on the level of vinyl fade. For 68-69, it's more dependent on condition of the physical wood veneer, with clean panels selling for $50-75 per panel on average (at least that what I get in my eBay store when I list them or they are requested)
John Abend

'74 Eldorado Convertible
'87 Allante Convertible
'15 XTS Platinum VSport

John Abend

Larry, I have the die for the dash veneer already.  For the door panels, I manually trim the veneer once I cement them to the new steel plates I have made.  I can make them out of practically any veneer (of course certain raw veneers are extremely expensive depending on the wood species).  The only exceptions might be burl veneers as it's difficult to get long enough sections for the dash and front panels.  Most burls are available in small square sections as opposed to long (mainly cause burl comes from those big lumpy growths certain trees, where normal veneer is stripped off the trunk in large sheets).
John Abend

'74 Eldorado Convertible
'87 Allante Convertible
'15 XTS Platinum VSport

cadman56

John,
As soon as I finalize on a color scheme for my 68 convertible, it will be modified some, I will get in touch with you as to what kind of wood I would like.  Thanks, Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820