News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

HOW OLDE ARE WE?? Average age of CLC Members?

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, January 31, 2016, 01:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I've tried with both of my kids...... But it seems even a Caddy can't compete with those damn video games.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

I'm with Jeff to an extent.  My three teenagers certainly enjoy the 1970 Cadillacs, but they are not as enthused as me or people on this forum.  I did not get into the hobby until my youngest was in first grade, and I was 45 years old.  A demanding career and a young family is a huge time obligation making even friendships with your peers difficult to maintain, let alone a hobby car.

My opinion is that my work in molding my three will result in at least one embracing this hobby should they have the time and money when they are older.  Plus of course I can help them.  My Dad enjoyed cars, but he never got into it to the extent I have.  Maybe this hobby interest skips generations or does not pass straight down the line.

I work with a 27 year old, have him fully corrupted and he wants a Cadillac.  He is just not ready, as he needs space, money and more time.  Same as me at that age.  Another good post to start is when did you get into the hobby?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

D.Yaros

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on February 19, 2016, 08:41:39 AM
My Dad enjoyed cars, but he never got into it to the extent I have.  Maybe this hobby interest skips generations or does not pass straight down the line?
I would be surprised to learn that our fathers (who art in heaven) enjoyed cars, but  not to the extent we do was not the situation for all/most of us.

I fondly recall my father and I anxiously awaiting preview day for the new cars, annually.  I also recall our yearly trip to the Chicago Auto Show in the dead of winter.  Then  there was the bonding time spent maintaining the family cars.

Just as our parents wanted and worked for a better life for us, our fathers instilled a greater interest in automobiles than they possessed.

Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Walter Youshock

Because then, owning a Cadillac was a goal and something to be proud of.  You MADE IT.  You ARRIVED.  Not so much anymore.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

tturley

Not sure about age to year formula.
I am 72 but have a 1940 but kinda looking for a 57 or 58 eldorado
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

olds34dude

I am going to be 66 next week, my mother said when I first could stand, I would lean on the window sill and the first word I said was car as they drove by, my  Caddy is 79, my Olds is 82 , when I grow up I hope to decide what to do with my life, 'till then I'll keep playing with my cars. Dave
D. Varney

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

David,
We have to grow old. We do not have to grow up.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

David Greenburg

It's never to late to have a happy childhood! Anybody else been given a "still plays with cars" sweatshirt?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Skwerly62

Quote from: D.Smith on February 18, 2016, 10:36:43 PM
I love this guy!   He has restored my faith that there is hope for a younger generation to carry on the tradition and love of our Marque.     

The best thing all of us can do is adopt a younger person who loves the cars we do.   I do all I can to mentor Josh and encourage his enthusiasm in the hobby.

So do yourself a favor and adopt a "Car Son" if you don't have one.

Well said sir! I agree being a 41 yo 'old soul' I grew up working on my parents' Corvairs and have the old car bug ever since. (Dad still drives his 63 Spyder convertible) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my youngest daughter will also catch it. She is the only one of my 3 that ask to help me in the garage.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

impalamansgarage

impalamansgarage
https://www.youtube.com/c/impalamansgarage
1971 CDV (http://bit.ly/1QylevA)
1981 CDV (Sold)
1992 SDV (Sold)
1963 Fleetwood (Teenage Junker Project - Sold)

carguyblack

To David's question about the "Still Plays With Cars" sweatshirt, yes, I was given one about 6 years ago or more!
Unlike some folks out there (not so much in the CLC ), "Play" to me means getting greasy and figuring out how to fix these things while enjoying driving them. "Play" for others seems to mean paying for someone else's work and putting the car on a trailer toting them around to shows. I love talking to folks with scabs on their knuckles and black fingernails!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

David Greenburg

I still "play" pretty hard when time permits.  No scabs on knuckles currently, but had a couple on the top of my head until a couple of weeks ago thanks to a chance encounter with front suspension parts while in surgery under the car.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Yesterday I bought ANOTHER Cadillac from an "Old Guy" -------  I thought he was certainly older than me--- He told me he was 60--   Well, that shocked me cuz I am 66!  Made me feel OLD--- But my Dad is still playing with cars and he is 87-- Yep we both have the sweatshirts: STILL PLAYS WITH CARS
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

Gary C

I'm 58.
Bought my first Caddy at 19 yrs old (1970 Coupe deVille).  To date have had:
1- '70 Coupe deVille
2- '73 Coupe deVilles
2- '75 Coupe deVilles
1- '76 Coupe deVille (current)
Current
'76 Coupe Deville EFI 13K miles
'65 Chevelle Malibu SS code 138 40K miles
'70 Nova SS 36K miles
'13 Corvette Grand Sport 7K miles
Past
'70 Coupe Deville
'73 Coupe Deville
'75 Coupe Deville
'75 Coupe Deville (gone to Verdal, Norway)
'73 Coupe Deville