News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1938 Cadillac Opera Coupe: It is now running

Started by 1949Chrysler, May 19, 2016, 03:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1949Chrysler

This car was purchased at auction 10 years ago.  Started full restoration in Arizona, then made its way to Gilroy, CA. 
In Gilroy the car was in the process of the mechanical restoration when cancer struck and took the life of the restorer.  The car then made its way back into the garage of the owner and has sat there for the last two years.  Not running, no brakes, no fuel system, no water pump, trim work and wiring.   I stepped up and said I would take on these tasks and get the car running and back on the road.

Thanks to this forum and many of the experts who participate, I got the car started today!!  Hooray.   Thank you all for the support and encouragement.   Tomorrow I will start with some road tests and tuning!   The end game for this car is unfortunate for the owner, health reasons are forcing him to sell it.   His plan is to take it to the Mecum Auction during Pebble Beach week in Monterey.   Wish I had room in my garage to keep it.   After all of this work the car is turning out to be really nice.

I will post a few more updates as I continue to progress with the car.
Few pictures included here are: 
  As the car sits tonight after its 10minute run with good oil pressure
  The mock "Gas Tank" for debugging of the engine
  My "new" voltage regulator as the original died last week during my first attempt.  1118204 Delco Remy 6V Pos
  My Brass fitting off of the Brake Master Cylinder.   Old one had a crack in it, so I used this set up
  Rebuilt Brake Assy, new shoes, cylinder, springs

Brian

gary griffin

Brian, great project, but if the canister over the carb is your "mock fuel tank" it concerns me. Too many ways to lose control of the fuel flow and have a fire?  A sticking float for example. Most fuel storage is lower than the carburetor and for a reason. Just a hint! You are doing a great job it appears.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

1949Chrysler

Thanks for the concern.  Only a pint of fuel at a time for debugging.  This comes off today.   This was better than a coffee can of fuel for first time starting.  Do you happen to know what the clutch return spring looks like on a Series 60?  Location?  Spring Force?   This car was missing a lot of items, including a complete muffler system.  When parts are broken and physically there I can fix and figure it out.   On this car many of the parts never made it from Arizona to Calif, then to me.  This forum has helped me figure out what I didn't know I was missing.  Then fabricate or find.   
Wish me luck on my road tests

oldcarguy

Any idea what the owner may ask for the car? It's really nice and looks like you are doing great work.
Thanks
Don Ford
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

1949Chrysler

Hi Don,

The pictures I posted last night don't do the car justice.   Photos show the car as a work in progress in my garage.   Paint is new, interior is new and the car does have Fender Skirts.   Front seat is currently in my front living room, much to my wife's frustration.  It fits well in the living room because this seat is the size of a couch!   The frame of this car was sandblasted then powder coated, hence the underside of the car is really clean as well.  Engine was gone through as well.   Although today I cant get the fuel pump to work.   I will need to replace that.   Water pump is new, list is long of all the new items including the rubber trim/sealing pieces.

Owner of this car is very intent in selling this car.   He has a Ton of money invested in it, knowing that this hobby never returns the investment.  It was his goal to make it his "driver".   Yet health issues have forced him to part with it.   I can ask him what he is willing to sell the car for if you are really interested.   

It really is a nice car with all the tough restoration topics already completed.   The car is located in San Jose, Calif.

--Brian

oldcarguy

Thanks Brian,
It really is a beautiful car, with my '39 coupe [needs a lot of work] and my '41 I better not try to take on  anything else! probably couldn't afford it anyway! Unless someone wants a really nice '64 Pontiac LeMans .......2 dr hdtp all original restoration.
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

1949Chrysler

Update:  I have the car running rather well.  Adjusting the brakes was a pain.  Bleeding multiple times and adjusting the new shoes, I can finally stop.  My last issue is finding a Radiator Cap that will work for this car.  Discussions call for a pressurized cap, anybody have a part number?  Thanks in advance

This week I had the paint buffed, OMG did it turn out spectacular!  Cleaned the white walls and shined the chrome pieces to a sparkle. The car is now ready for a new owner to enjoy.

--Brian

1949Chrysler

Well......after all the hard work, great advice and direction from forum participants, this great car is now ready for sale.  Being the Mechanic who finished this great car, it is with a heavy heart to participate in its listing for the Mecum Auction in August.   Health is forcing the sale of the car.   

With this posting I wanted to thank everybody who answered my questions, provided guidance and shared a personal bias on how to get this project done.
This is the first Cadillac I have ever done.  I learned a lot and have come to appreciate the style and elegance of this car.

I am including a link to the Mecum site to share the professional photos that were taken of the car.

Regards,  Brian
https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/CA0816-244390/0/1938-Cadillac-Series-60-Opera-Coupe/3-Speed/

dgregor

Wow, I am so envious!  My 1938 opera coupe does not look anything like that and the engine is currently seized.  It has been in the family for about 50 years and now I am looking seriously at restoring it.  Someday I hope I can have a discussion and photos like yours.