News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

opera lights

Started by baker, February 01, 2018, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baker

hello from france
could you help me , i have to remove my opera light on the vinyl top on my biarritz 1985.
i don t know how to remove this pârt inside to have access, and i dont want to break it.
thanks for your answer
arnauld

jsanford

You don't remove the reading lamp, you remove the whole panel that it is mounted in. You need to use a trim removal tool to pry the clips on the forward edge loose then you can pull the panel the rest of the way off.
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

baker

super !!! fantastic !!!
thank you very much
Arnauld

1980 Eldo

Do you need to remove the trim panel to access the light bulb?  I read somewhere that it was in the trunk, but I can't find it.

81 BENY Biarritz

The light bulbs that illuminate the fiber optic strands which are used to give the dim light from inside the opera lights are located in plastic bulb holders that are clipped to the top of each rear fender that you access from inside the trunk.  You will need a flashlight to see them and you need to be careful when opening them up that you don't damage the fiber optic strand on the back side.  Unfortunately the special old style bulbs that were made to concentrate the light out a "lens" on one end of the bulbs are no longer made however some have found a bright LED equivalent that sort of works.  Don't expect it to be as good as it would have been originally.  You do not need to remove the inside trim panels to "change the lamp".  You would only remove the interior panel to remove the entire opera lamp from the car, say to replace the vinyl roof, as there are speed nuts on the inside that hold them on.  Dave