News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1990 cadillac window seals

Started by peter prychka, February 23, 2018, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter prychka

I need to replace deteriorated outside door window sealing strips on my 1990 Cad, Broughm.   They are no longer available new from the dealer, nor are they serviced from Steele or  any other source that I can find. What can I do to solve my problem ??? I would appreciate any help that I can find.   Thanks very much.   Peter Prychka   609 625 3371       salvage378@aol.com

TJ Hopland

I wonder if the Brougham ever changed the seal design?   Maybe its the same as an 85 which some of the vendors do have.  Hopefully someone here will be able to confirm or deny that. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The large (all around the windows) seals are shrinking on my '91 Seville. After trying all the expensive (and useless) softeners on eBay, I have obtained a set of used original ones for all four doors. What I plan to do is get a brand new razor knife and carefully slice the bottom portion and then insert a section of the used ones from the same window and make the shrunk section "longer." (The shrinking is occurring at the bottom "back" of the gasket.)

I know this will leave two seams showing but if I make them crisp with a new knife, they shouldn't be too visible. At present, the bright chrome of the piece they are shrinking away from is quite visible. By using the old ones, I will have the same contour in the rubber. Luckily this is only happening on the LH side.

If anyone else with an '86-91 Seville or Eldo has the same problem and wishes to try this same "cure", I will be glad to send them a hunk of my old material from the door they need. (The straight sections from the Seville and the Eldorado should be the same.) Or, if anyone has a better solution, let me know.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I rummaged around the web and found some other things to try before I go slicing things. So I'll try those first.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

nysdarkblue

Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX