News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac Leaf Springs

Started by jaxops, July 22, 2018, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaxops

After a tuneup/oil change, timing chain (took 3 chains to get the right one), new engine seals, repaired oil pan and drain plug; rear differential seal (took 5 seals to find the right one- thanks to Antique Automotive Parts in Massachusetts)), shocks, brakes and brake lines....we made it to the finals under the car.

The final undercarriage repair was a pair of heavily rusted out leaf springs.  We had them made at Jamco as they are 11 pieces stacked, and the on-the-market springs are 8 pieces high.  The car sits up much better.  The fender skirts are off but when attached, make the car look more even. 

Next steps: the windows.  First we have to repair a leaking hydraulic line on the driver's front door hinge area.  Meanwhile I pulled the four non-working window switches from the passenger compartment and sent them to Fusick Automotive in Connecticut for overhaul.  The window challenge will be cutting out the rusted inner frame to replace the hydraulic cylinder on the right front door.  The right rear may be the same as it hasn't operated in years. 

After that- we start repairing the trunk floor and rusted body rim. (Lots of fun!).
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

jaxops

Fusick Automotive did an amazingly fast turnaround and my window switches are repaired and ready to go back into the car.  Getting the wiring right on the 3-pronged switches will be another interesting adventure!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

docscantlin

Nice. I have one of these. I would be interested in at least some more photos of your shock absorbers modification.