News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

restoring a 1939 LaSalle coupe conv.

Started by 2nd resto, February 10, 2019, 10:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2nd resto

here  are some pics of front fender fix on my 39's fenders.  Also making various other panels. in need of.
1939 Lasalle series 50 coupe conv.

harry s

Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

las39

Very well made. Was this part bead rolled ?
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

2nd resto

yes  i have bought a bead roller and deep throat stretcher and shrinker. also and an english wheel. I also made a rear fender splash panel.  Also the rear body panel was damaged and rusted so i have also been fabricating a new one from scratch. It is coming along very well. I will be finishing it up in near future.  I 'll have pictures later.

2nd resto

i have home dipped all of my 39 LaSalles  coupe conv. front sheetmetal all ready for epoxy

2nd resto

Also the top of the hood

Mike Baillargeon #15848

home dipped ??

Looks great !!

What does "home dipped" entail?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

2nd resto

Have 300 gal. fibre plastic water tank. filled with feed grade molasses and water 9 to 1 mix  9 parts water. Is only good for rust. all paint,primers, fillers must be removed.  I leave in tank 2 weeks. powerwash check  usually redip for 2 more weeks. when all pits are clean. blow wipe dry and metal prep immediately. Really depends on amount of rust for time period. Be patient and it works. To me powerwashing is the key. you can wire brush and rinse. But powerwashing is better. I heatgun all seams, to dry up any moisture. make sure metal prep gets in seams and i heat those also. Eastwood makes a frame inner coating  that works great for flowing into crevices.         It does smell, Luckily I have and old corn crib to keep tank in.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Do you have the little jump seats for your car? I have a set for sale.
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Tom Boehm

I've heard of a lot of rust removal methods and yours is new to me. Sounds low cost. Where do you get bulk molasses and how much does it cost?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Bulk Molasses should be available from farm or animal feed stores.

Guys down here use that method a lot, and boy, does it clean the parts up, but, takes a long time.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

2nd resto

Bob Hoffman  I do have the jumpseats. My biggest needs are a rear gravel deflector. part under rear body panel. On 39 s they were 2 piece metal and were to the best i can find out on all models. 1940 had a rubber one. Also need a heater control switch.

2nd resto

Tom Boehm I buy my molasses at local farm stores in 2.5 gallon jugs for around 17 bucks a jug. It is a little slow but if you set up your lead times on your parts its no big deal.  If you ever wait for parts to get back from redi-strip you wait a lot longer. lol   This way I can control it .

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: 2nd resto on December 06, 2019, 06:37:15 PM
Bob Hoffman  I do have the jumpseats. My biggest needs are a rear gravel deflector. part under rear body panel. On 39 s they were 2 piece metal and were to the best i can find out on all models. 1940 had a rubber one. Also need a heater control switch.
You look like a VERY talented guy. You're gonna have to make those panels. I wish I would have saved more regular heater switches rather than the deluxe switches that no one seems to want.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

2nd resto

All front sheet metal sprayed with epoxy. Will be realigned,fit start bodywork.  Had to  spray at my place of work. Wanted to get bare metal parts coated. Home booth was kinda a storage for parts from last restoration. Getting it reorganized.  Take pride in doing Concours restorations all at home shop.

2nd resto