News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1932 Cadillac V16 scale model

Started by Roger Zimmermann, July 12, 2019, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

Roger,

I understand exactly what I am writing.

But, holding the large hammer head, like a 7.5 Kilo sledge hammer against one lug with one hand, and then with a slightly lighter ball pein  (engineers hammer) in the other hand, belt the heck out of the other side lug, till the spline comes loose.

The secret is to loosen the nut, but not take it completely off just in case you miss with the little hammer, and smash against the thread.

Just the same as loosening up a tapered ball joint.   It is the shock that moves it, encouraging it to loosen its' grip on the splines.

Would you like a picture of what I am describing?   I have a '34 Hudson chassis here that I can do a mock-up.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Not needed Bruce! I can visually see both hammers. Anyway, this is the best tool to work on anything!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Johan Boltendal #158

Those ears are there to put a special puller on and not hammer or worse, hammer and heat the piece.
No need for these bush methodes,also these can lead to small hairline cracks, it will come off easy with the puller.

Roger Zimmermann

Johan, thanks for the confirmation about the special puller!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

For different reasons, the steering gear is coming slowly as expected: first, I realized that the worm and sector must be a reverse set. Thanks to a scale model forum, I could order the appropriate set. This was just before our autumn vacation, so I expected to have the gears at my return. They were there, but I came back with Covid's!  Thanks to the vaccine, the illness was not too severe, but I was "out" for a good week.
Anyway, I could begin with the steering gear's partial body, the tube and shaft. I have now to make the sector shaft and its body and connect it to the main body.
The whole will be a tight fit as the exhaust tube is very near from it. I hope that there will be no conflict...
468 steering gear.JPG469 Steering gear.JPG 
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chris Cummings

Roger Zimmermann

The steering box is ready and installed on the frame. As I expected, there is a tight fit between the steering column/box and the exhaust pipe; in due time, I will slightly modify the exhaust pipe to have a more comfortable space between both elements.
The various pictures are showing the involved parts; on the right, I installed a rough steering wheel hub. As you can see, there is also a complex part made with two flanges: the one to close the steering box and holding the pitman shaft and another one which is the attaching element from the unit to the frame.
When I was in Germany more than three years ago, I had the good inspiration to measure the steering tube length and the distance at its end to the frame. Those dimensions allowed me to do a temporary fixture for the steering box; with that, I could locate exactly the flange attached to the frame  before silver soldering it.
Unfortunately, that steering box will not be without play because the worm's bore is not exactly concentric (Made in USA is definitively not as precise as Made in Switzerland!). The result: some hard spots, but not at the right place and, in between, some play. As its indeed a static model, this unwanted characteristic is not that bad.
Now, I will do the connecting rod to have a functional steering. And then, the steering wheel to complete this chapter.

471 partly asembled.JPG472 steering gear.JPG473 steering gear on frame.JPG474 detail view.JPG    470 parts for steering gear.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds you need to fill the steering box with some very heavy grease. ;)  ;)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Now if you could only get spark plugs and a carb that small, I bet it'd run!  BW.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on October 12, 2022, 11:02:38 AMNow if you could only get spark plugs and a carb that small, I bet it'd run!  BW.
Well, then I also should ad pistons, crankshaft, and so on!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Love to see the torque specs of the various parts.   ;)  ;)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Some time ago, you let us know what other models you have made. Would you consider a picture or two to let us enjoy what the finished products have looked like? All you need do is place your Cadillac chassis in the foreground to adhere to the rule about "nothing but Cadillacs or LaSalles..."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Roger Zimmermann

OK, good suggestion with the frame in the foreground, I will do it the next few days!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

With a completed steering box, the model now is requesting a steering wheel. It's not the first I'm doing but this one has an annoying characteristic: on top of the rim, there are small ridges in addition to the usual rim's shaping at the underside. How to do that?
I did a tool to soft solder the rim to have the correct inside diameter. The I did the 60 slots with a milling tool. The idea is to silver solder tiny brass bits. With the proper trimming I may be able to replicate the shape. We'll see soon...
The attached pictures are showing an original steering wheel, machining the rim, the slots and the soldered brass bits.

475 machining the rim.JPG476 slots into rim.JPG477 rim with fins.JPG    Steering wheel.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

For the moment, the rim is ready. Maybe I will try to lower the ridges when the steering wheel will be assembled. On the other side, if they raise in proportion the same as the original ones, they may be unnoticed...

478 Rim.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Once the rim was done, I trimmed the hub and prepare the spokes. They were silver soldered to the hub; the trimming coming after this operation.
Once the spokes were trimmed, I soft soldered the rim to them. I also added a small decor to the spokes, somewhat simplified compared to the original steering wheel.
Now, I can do the link between the steering box and the steering lever. I had to buy tap and die for that job; I had nothing as large (3 mm) in my tool store...

480 spokes ready.JPG481 assembled steering wheel.JPG  479 spokes added.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looking at that beautiful workmanship with the wheel, I am really jealous of the midget that would get to wheel your car as he, or she, will be the only ones to get to properly feel the beautiful workmanship.

I think I can say this for all, but, we are all in awe of your workmanship.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Bruce! I hope you will not be upset with the following pictures. They were requested by Barry Wheeler but, instead having the Cadillac chassis in the front, he is just a tad behind the other models!
As our flat is rather small, we had to reorganize the dining room to have a decent surface and background.
I suppose all of you know those cars: 1963 Studebaker Avanti, 1966 Olds Toronado and 1956 Continental Mark II.
Many detail pictures can be seen here: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/145354-construction-of-a-continental-mark-ii-model-scale-112/page/87/#comments
There are 87 long pages, it takes some time to go through!

DSC02928.JPGDSC02930.JPGDSC02932.JPGDSC02933.JPGIMG_20221023_110053.jpgDSC02935.JPGIMG_20221023_110435.jpgDSC02940.JPG       
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

The steering system is basically finished. The last piece to be added was the steering connecting rod. A straight bar?
Oh no, it would be too easy! This bar or rod is vertically and horizontally curved. Looking from above the curve is obvious: to clear the way for the tire during a left turn. But why horizontally? I don't know. Maybe to clear the rear shackle from the front spring.
At both ends, I have a ball stud, two shoes, a spring and a treaded plug, however much simplified compared to the original set-up. This elaborate system is allowing to have no play at the joints during a normal effort. I still must add a dirt/grease shield over both joints.
As my assemblies are without splines, I had to add something to index the Pitman arm and steering wheel on their respective shafts; I did that with a 0.5 mm diameter rod inserted between hub and shaft. Totally not visible when assembled, but allowing a disassembly if needed.

482 steering connecting rod.JPG

483 detail at rod.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Recently, I was busy with the shock absorbers regulating system. It requires a lot of small parts, an annoying job. Of course, that system will be static on the model with most parts soft soldered to each other.
As some holes must be drilled on the frame, I will have to remove the steering system and the engine; maybe the suspension can stay undisturbed.
Some clevises have a small tube which is silver soldered; I had to find an unusual method to perform the job: a tube was turned on the lathe, then soldered and finally cut from the stock. The tube alone was so short that I found no other method to solder it with a relative precision.

485 soldering.JPG 484 shock absorbers control.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101