News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Eldorado - Window rollers

Started by P Gidlow, September 06, 2019, 03:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P Gidlow

Hi Folks,

The door and rear quarter windows on my '66 Eldorado have several rollers that seem to be really loose, (one of them occasionally pops off the stud) consequently setting up the electric up / down travel is a nightmare!
These are the little white plastic (nylon?) rollers that run up and down the chanels in the doors and quarter inards.

Does anyone know where I can get replacements?

Many thanks

Peter
CLC 23180

67_Eldo

I replaced those rollers on an Eldorado: a 1967 Eldorado, alas. In my case, I used every shred of info I could find to cross-reference those rollers to another GM product. In my case, the closest match was with the 67 Pontiac GTO, a car with well-documented, easy-to-find parts (unlike Cadillacs). Pictures & story are here:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=149456.msg407880#msg407880

Look at what you’ve got and start comparing that to the 60s-vintage GM parts you find on eBay.

Good luck!

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have constructed my own rollers out of a block of nylon, and turning the piece up in my lathe doesn't take long, except for making the central hole, which I made up a special tool to create an inner diameter for the stud, and leaving sufficient outer diameter to retain the wheel on the ball stud after pressing it on.

In the picture, the wheel has been made, and I am using the drill chuck of the lathe to press the wheel holder into place, before final trimming.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

P Gidlow

Thanks Guys.  I think I'm going to have to make them myself.  I have a lathe and can get nylon bar stock.  But, as it's a winter project I'll check out EBay in the mean timer just in case.

Big Fins

I've heard of shower door rollers working just as well as the factory stuff. The trick will be finding good quality rollers.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY