News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Replacing valve seals without removing cylinder heads

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, September 07, 2019, 10:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

A while back someone was asking about replacing valve seals without removing the cylinder heads.  At that time I mentioned the recommended factory tool to compress the springs so that keepers and retainers could be removed and the seal replaced.  I finally got around to taking a couple of shots of this tool and here it is.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jay Friedman

When you do that, don't you have to have air pressure in the cylinder through the spark plug hole so that the valve doesn't just descend into the head as you compress the spring. 

If I remember correctly, when I had a seal replacement job done on my '49 many years ago, the mechanic screwed a special fixture (one way valve) into each spark plug hole in turn, connected an air hose to the fixture, and only then compressed the spring.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Jay
That’s correct. There was a thread on this subject a while back and this tool was mentioned. I finally got around to posting a picture.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

chrisntam

Must be nice to be in Hi-Wy-ya for so long!

;)

When will the Texas summer end?  It's 101 in Dallas today...

>:(
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

A cool 100 here in San Antonio. I’ve been getting a couple of “car”
Hours in, in the AM so I’m easing on down that road.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

Thanks for posting, is there a place to buy this? 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

savemy67

Hello all,

The photos below show my adapter for getting compressed air into a cylinder, and the hose attached to the adapter in the engine.

The adapter is a spark plug.  I drove out the electrode/porcelain, and threaded in a 3/8 NPT x 1/4 NPT reducing bushing.  Into the bushing I threaded a 1/4 NPT male quick connect plug.

Don't use too much air pressure.  You don't want to drive the piston down in the cylinder.  You just want enough pressure to keep the valves in place when compressing the spring.  30 to 40 PSI should work.  Adjust as needed to suit your springs.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Scott,
Bought mine from Kent Moore.
Using this tool and the "heads on" method is great for say one valve spring or seal, but I have found that usually for more than one or possibly two, pulling the heads and doing a complete valve/spring/seal and possible valve guide job pays off in the not too long run.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

My tool is a bit more aggressive.  I silver-soldered the air line fitting into the spark plug.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The heat getting to you Chris?
LOL. Actually in the long run, pulling the heads is no more costly than trying to do individual valves.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Big Fins

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on September 08, 2019, 11:48:32 PM

Actually in the long run, pulling the heads is no more costly than trying to do individual valves.

Till an exhaust manifold bolt snaps off....Then it's,  :-X :-X :-X :-X
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

klinebau

I used this valve spring compressor with a double-ended stud.
Compressor:  https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80521/10002/-1
Stud:  coarse ( 7/16-14, UNC ) on the bottom and fine ( 7/16-20, UNF ) on the top

Here is the procedure I used and it was surprisingly easy:
1.  Make sure both valves are closed and introduce compressed air into cylinder.  Piston at bottom of travel worked best for me.  Unless piston is exactly at TDC, the compressed air tends to rotate the crank.
2.  Remove T-pedestal bolt and remove pedestal, rockers, push rods (keep track of the locations of the rockers and push-rods so that they can be re-installed in same position)
3.  Thread in double-ended stud into T-pedestal bolt hole
4.  Thread spring compressor on stud and compress spring.  Use a magnet to remove keepers.
5.  Remove spring and replace valve seal
6.  Reinstall spring and keeper. Then reinstall push rods, T-pedestal and rockers
7.  Move to next cylinder in firing order and repeat above steps
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

Kurt,
If I am not mistaken that tool is for use for stud mounted rocker motors such as Chevrolet's. As far as the procedures, pulling the "T" pedestals will of course close the valves regardless of the engine's rotary position.
John,
Not to be argumentative (as I know you hate to be)-Ha) but IF you break off any exhaust manifold bolts in the process of removing the heads they are much easier to remove with the heads off.  If I am not mistaken I believe my machine shop has charged me something like $25.00 per bolt extraction.
This thread was not intended as a discussion of the task, just an update of the tool mentioned in the previous post concerning valve seal replacement.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

klinebau

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on September 09, 2019, 10:17:47 AM
If I am not mistaken that tool is for use for stud mounted rocker motors such as Chevrolet's. As far as the procedures, pulling the "T" pedestals will of course close the valves regardless of the engine's rotary position.

You are correct on both accounts.  I threaded a stud into the T-pedestal hole in order to to use the tool.  It worked great.  I think it is easier to remove the T-pedestal with the rocker not loaded on the spring.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

TJ Hopland

Many compression and or leakdown kits have quick connect air fittings on them so they can be used for this purpose.   They often do have a one way valve which is basically a tire valve stem that has to be removed to use them this way but that is easy to do just don't loose it.

Ideally you do want to try and find a way to lock the engine while you are working.  If you let the piston go down and something sticks while you are working on the valve and it opens you could end up with the valve falling all the way down in some engines.   If you work with the piston up it can't fall but the engine suddenly turning could decompress the cylinder enough that the valve will then fall.   Don't ask how I know this.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason