News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

All carburetor problems are NOT ignition

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, October 06, 2019, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

ou know sometimes it’s real easy to overthink things. My motor (511 inch, roller cam, CNC heads, 10.2:1 compression) continued to run fantastic as long as it was moving at speed but once i slowed down it would cut out and stay “dead” for a while before I could start it again. It would cut out abruptly, so it MUST be ignition, right?  Well I have gone through no fewer than 5 ignition systems ending up with an MSD. a-6.  Same results.
Finally had eyeballs on my AFR meter when it cut out again and guess what?  Not ignition, boiling fuel and vapor lock. Finally realized that running the 1/2 inch fuel line up the inside of the fender well about 5 inches from the headers and no thermal insulation under the carb might not be the best way to go, especially with 96+ degree days.
Not that I tend to overkill things but when I get back home (I’m cooling off in the Blue Ridge Mountains for a while) I’m going to re route  the fuel line to a bypass regulator away from the headers and run a return line back to the tank.  If that doesn’t do it, look for a 73 coupe de Ville in the for sale section.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Okay,
Things have cooled off and had a chance to re-route the fuel lines and install a by-bass regulator. First try out ran okay. Since I am tired of flat bedding it home, I'll try a few more short runs before I consider the problem resolved
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Big Fins

I just find it strange that you build a 514 to drag around a 5000lb car. If it's stripped and gutted and it turns 11's at the track, then cool. But a street car?

To each their own, I guess!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

It’s not quite a street car John. If I wanted to do what everyone else does I probably would build a 9.5 second Camero out of the Summit  catalog but my goal is to make a pig fly.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Big Fins

I'd drive the flying pig before the Camero. Save that for the dudes in their second teen years.

I understand. Point made!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

signart

Back in my racing days, I ran a cool can. Yeah, you can  get it from Summit :P
Art D. Woody

Kind of hard stopping frequently along the freeway to fill the can with ice. A bypass type regulator is more effective in maintaining outlet pressure and with the high flow the fuel supply temperature should effectively be the same as the outdoor temp.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

signart

I have done some of that "freeway" driving like those videos posted also... and received my share of  "fast driving awards" from the leo that take objection to that sort of activity. ;)
Art D. Woody

Atr,
You know what's funny is that after several 12 second, 108 MPH runs I have to really force my self to get up to the 75 MPH speed limit on the way home.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille