News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle series 52 'Special Coupe' project

Started by GregoryAlan, November 10, 2019, 07:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregoryAlan

This post is my introduction to this board and also to the Cadillac world. After what seems like 3 months of conversations and negotiations the deal got done and I became the new caretaker of this LaSalle...

harry s

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a very nice car just waiting to get back on the road.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

GregoryAlan

Thanks Harry...

I got it home before the first snow. The plan is to have it road ready for summer 2020.

A LOT has been completed before she became a stalled project. Engine was rebuilt. Transmission gone through. Body and paint done...

Repairs have been done in a way that it will never be a concours restoration but it will make a nice driver. The rear fenders were welded to the body.  >:(

I come from a Hot Rod background so I plan on taking a few subtle liberties to make it mine. Don't worry guys/gals, NOTHING tasteless. Maybe a few engine mods, drop it down an inch or two from stock ride height. The column shift is fun (my first) but a floor shift could be on the horizon.

GregoryAlan

The most important goal as of today is to organize the boxes of parts and get it back together...

Tom Boehm

Welcome to Lasalle ownership Gregory. Feel free to ask questions. There are at least 5 people who are 39/40 Lasalle and Cadillac owners and regularly contribute to this forum. There are many others who are knowledgeable about the '37-'48 Cadillac flathead V8.

GregoryAlan

Thanks Tom...

You betcha I'm gonna ask questions! I joined CLC, I ordered the '39 '40 Authenticity Manual, I need to find a '39 Cad/LaSalle service manual, got the '40 update manual on the way. (I hope I understood correct there is not a '40 manual)

I am very lucky that the/my flathead was rebuilt. Mechanically it should be a solid car. Body work is so-so. All the detail work is on me.

Example, all the glass was removed. It is going to take me a while to figure out what I have and what I need just to get the hardware in place. That job I have never tackled and I didn't see how it came apart. Once I get the windshield and rear window installed it will be safe to hit the road in.

I'm seeking out the Cadillac parts vendors on-line and in print. I was a little concerned taking on an orphaned make. Been there, done that, sold that project down the road. I'm guessing the 'LaSalle's' big brother/sister 'Cadillac' share a lot so I shouldn't get hung out to dry too badly?

When I get to that point I hope I'm not asking the dumb question...  :o

Tom Boehm

You are getting the right literature to start off with. There is also a 1935-1949 Cadillac and Lasalle Master Parts Book available in reproduction. It has some helpful illustrations. It is most helpful in locating parts. It will tell all the years and models of Cadillac and Lasalle that used a given part. Mechanical parts should not be a problem with your car because of the wide overlap with Cadillac. Some parts overlap with other GM brands.
The book "Lasalle: Cadillac's Companion Car" By CLC members Matt Larson and Ron Vangelderen is also helpful in filling all the gaps left by the other books already mentioned. It is available on the CLC website.