News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 Cadillac Convertible Sedan #23 of 36 Built

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, November 26, 2019, 05:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novetti

54' Iris Blue (Preservation)
54' Cabot Gray (Restoration)
58' Lincoln Continental Convertible (Restoration)
58' Ford Skyliner (Preservation)

James Landi

Mike,

Would be great to have a "before" when you first got the car and posted, "Here we go..." and where you are now.  Your perseverance, creativity, and technical know how are impressive, and manifest in the arc your journey to this point. Happy day,  James

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: James Landi on August 19, 2020, 07:27:50 AM
Mike,

Would be great to have a "before" when you first got the car and posted, "Here we go..." and where you are now.  Your perseverance, creativity, and technical know how are impressive, and manifest in the arc your journey to this point. Happy day,  James

Thanks for the encouragement James !

Here are the before pictures....I purchased the car at a small "artwork" auction in Rhode Island coming up on a year ago in November....

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/77681771_1939-cadillac-series-75-convertible-v8-sedan

The doors in the back seat are from a 1939 LaSalle hearse......check out the bumpers.....I think they are 1942.....They would have come in handy if I was plowing thru the Ardennes Forest....

She looks alot different today....

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

gkhashem

Quote from: Jeff Hansen on February 22, 2020, 05:37:21 PM
Mike,

I was going through some photos I took at Hershey in 1994 and stumbled across this one.  Could this be your car?  The photos of the top you showed a page or so back look similar.

Jeff

Kind of late to this thread but that looks like a 1949-1955 NH license plate. They were not as wide as modern plates. Wider modern size came in 1956.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_New_Hampshire

However plates were county coded starting in 1949, but a plate that starts with O is Coos county in the northern most NH far from the MA border, so doubtful it is this car. Dark Green plates were for even ending years, white plates odd years. The only number plates were  1-9999, and were for VIPs or very connected people usually.

A coincidence that is a NH car?
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Mike Baillargeon #15848

It's hard to believe that these 2 cars aren't the same....but I don't think they are...

What do you think?

My car, on the bottom, was found in New Hampshire.....Hmmm...

Mike

Quote from: gkhashem on August 23, 2020, 04:16:02 PM
Kind of late to this thread but that looks like a 1949-1955 NH license plate. They were not as wide as modern plates. Wider modern size came in 1956.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_New_Hampshire

However plates were county coded starting in 1949, but a plate that starts with O is Coos county in the northern most NH far from the MA border, so doubtful it is this car. Dark Green plates were for even ending years, white plates odd years. The only number plates were  1-9999, and were for VIPs or very connected people usually.

A coincidence that is a NH car?
Mike
Baillargeon

Roger Zimmermann

These are not the same: different rear bumper, tank cap and there is a button at the belt after the rear door. Bumper and fuel cap can be exchanged, but that small button was certainly not added just to please you.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on August 27, 2020, 07:56:01 AM
It's hard to believe that these 2 cars aren't the same....but I don't think they are...

What do you think?

My car, on the bottom, was found in New Hampshire.....Hmmm...

Mike

I wouldn't rule it out.  What's the chance that 2 of the 36 built could have ended up in NH?  Stuff could have gotten swapped out over the years.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jeff Hansen

I'm also starting to doubt these are the same two cars; but like Dan, I wouldn't rule it out.  Remember, these two photos were taken 25 years apart.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on August 27, 2020, 08:03:01 AM
These are not the same: different rear bumper, tank cap and there is a button at the belt after the rear door. Bumper and fuel cap can be exchanged, but that small button was certainly not added just to please you.

Roger I finally get the chance to tell you how great it is to follow your 1932 Cadillac V16 scale model thread and the great work you do there!!

I try not to comment there because I don't want to gum up the unbelievable work your doing....

The buttons on my 1939 look to be some kind of a bolt on pivot point somebody used for their convertible top frame?....or they had those opera irons on the car at some point and used them to attach them to the body......I took them off....see pictures..

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Jeff Hansen on August 27, 2020, 09:41:35 AM
I'm also starting to doubt these are the same two cars; but like Dan, I wouldn't rule it out.  Remember, these two photos were taken 25 years apart.

Jeff
Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on August 27, 2020, 09:12:42 AM
I wouldn't rule it out.  What's the chance that 2 of the 36 built could have ended up in NH?  Stuff could have gotten swapped out over the years.

The cars are the same color...black....both have missing top frames.....And you guys are right, stuff can be bolted on and taken off....Both look like their from New Hampshire....

So I tried to show my car in that 3/4 rear viewpoint to see if scratches on the paint could be matched up....I just don't see any that are the same on both cars....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on August 27, 2020, 12:05:21 PM
Roger I finally get the chance to tell you how great it is to follow your 1932 Cadillac V16 scale model thread and the great work you do there!!

I try not to comment there because I don't want to gum up the unbelievable work your doing....

The buttons on my 1939 look to be some kind of a bolt on pivot point somebody used for their convertible top frame?....or they had those opera irons on the car at some point and used them to attach them to the body......I took them off....see pictures..

Thanks Mike! You know, comments are always welcome but I understand that this is a subject where comments are not easy to do because the lack of a reference.
You probably know or read that I came almost by accident to this scale model; for a little more than one year I had almost no idea about the cars from the thirties. I had to learn rather quick, but I don't know the details, especially from the body, because  I'm far, far away from doing a body. I had a look at those buttons; like you, I think it must have something to do with the convertible top. As I don't have a parts book from those years, I just say "I don't know".
Now, about those two cars on pictures: the first picture is 25 years older. Why should suddenly a pivot or bolt or whatever appear on your car? On the first picture, there is a small dent on the rear fender. On your car, the fender is unmolested. There are other wheels and wheel covers; of course, they can be exchanged with the time, but there are too much small differences in my opinion.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

There is no reason why more than one of those cars could not have gone to NH when new.

Here in Australia, a fellow had a business and wanted 6 Hudson 4 door Convertible Sedans, to replace his previous 6 Hudsons, (late 20's models I think) and as Hudson never continued to build such a vehicle in 1934, the Hudson Dealer in Sydney had 6 built.

My mate down here has one, and he restored it with parts from a second car that he found in worse condition, and made up one out of the two.   Don't know where the other 4 are, but being wood-framed bodies, and very flexible, it is no wonder they succumbed to the ravages of time.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I bought a roll of that sound deadening material and put in the car...

Pretty easy to work with.....utility knife, pair of scissors and a measuring tape......This stuff is really sticky on the back side.....you can just feel it's going to work to kill road sounds....I never used it before, but I like it...

I also dug out the running boards and installed them....The older I get the more I appreciate the car lift.....Lining up and tightening nuts and bolts when they're at eye level makes it a lot easier....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Yesterday was the 9 month anniversary that the car has been in the building.....still have a long long way to go but, it's fun to see it taking shape.....

The car came in with the 1940 front directional lights....I like them so I put them back on....they'll go good with my universal signal switch....All wired and ready for testing....

The front bumper brackets that came with the car were all chopped up....so I hacked in a piece for metal to at least support the bumper until I find a good pair of series 75 brackets....

I'm never satisfied with the gaps on this nose....there a lot of panels that all have to come together.....you adjust one panel and then the hood doesn't look right....on and on and on.....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

pmhowe

it's turning into a handsome car! I'm impressed with your work. You should now begin to feel a great deal of pride in what you have done. My car is a 1935 model, bu only a sedan.
Phil

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Phil...

Is your sedan a series 75?

Post a picture when you can....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

James Landi

So terrific to watch your efforts take shape.   Is it a fair question to ask when the "maiden voyage" might take place Mike?   James

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Hi James,.....Soon I hope....still have lots of testing and adjusting....

Electrical....brakes....etc..

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

Mike, Looks great in such a short period of time. Your front clip lines look good. That is such a hard area to get perfect. I would bet from the factory doesn't look as good.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Big compliment coming from you Harry !!   

Thanks,

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon