News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

Well it is done. Perimeter sewn, painted, forward vinyl binding edge, and foam cut for install in the car.  Now to see how many years this will sit waiting for reassembly
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Lower carpet panels and binding installed to my front door cards.  Now I need to restart working on the upper portions.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Back to working on the door panel uppers.  Last time I had two problems. I tried to sew the cover to the original upper.  But the edge was warm and causing issues keeping a straight line.   The other problem was I tried to sew the cover loose over the backer.

So I made new upper cards. And I am using a multi stretch upholstery foam.  This will allow me to glue the vinyl over the card.  I could not do that with the original cotton material. 

Clewisiii

I went ahead and sacrificed some more material to cut a new pattern. I did not want to risk trying to stretch past the stitches. 

I went ahead and looked at other areas and I think I can cut either the seat armrests or more sun visors out of this wasted piece. 

Clewisiii

Well I must let some glue cure then I can see this door panel upper

I do have one issue. The fabric piece has tape residue on it from the roll that SMS sent me.  Before I sew these together I will attempt to clean this residue.  If I cannot I will make a new fabric piece.  I have extra fabric so I am not to worried.

Clewisiii

Well I will not finish this today.  I am going to pick up the cleaner tomorrow.  Memorial day I do not want to go anywhere.

Clewisiii

Ok that is annoying selecting user actions to see the reply button that will allow photos.  Then adding photos then upload photos.  This update is not intuitive.  I am an adult I do not need to add an emoji but I need to add photos for technical feedback.

But anyway.  After dragging my feet for a week I got around to sewing the perimeter of my fabric insert.  It is perfect.  I can glue these to the door panel, wrap the edges, then work on the piping edge. 

I still need to make the armrest but I do not like my leather.  And I do not know when I will buy more.  So the armrests may wait a long time.

Clewisiii

Just need the leather to do the armrest, then chrome redone, stainless polished. And this is done.

Clewisiii

So i have one washer bracket painted black. And i have one that I did Yellow dichromate on.  I remember that i had seen a NOS bracket that was yellow, and on my parts car the bracket has areas that the dichromate was still noticeable.  Since someone was asking about NOSrestoredcadillacs recently, i looked them up again.  And here is the nos yellow washer bottle bracket.

Clewisiii

Working on my AC restoration.  I ordered a new set of Vacuum actuators.

Does anyone know where I can get the rubber grommets for the vacuum hose and cables.  I cannot find any on Rubber the right way or Old Air products.

I did see something that looked right on a classic Chevy site. But I cannot find it anymore.

Clewisiii

Just playing with a new photo editing program.  I am going to make some exploded views of some assemblies.

WagstaffCaddy1949

Well now that I've spent the last three days making my way through this thread, I must say... Amazing work! The quality of work and time you've put in is top notch. Makes me want to start a restoration even more. Can't wait to see what is to come.

Korry

Clewisiii

Ever since my shop remodel I have not done any more body work on my car. And this has been 2 years.  I will not sand or paint in the shop anymore. So I need to push it outside. But it is dirt outside my door and I cannot push the body on rotisserie over it.  So I am having a pad poured outside the barn to connect to my driveway. I am still working through quotes. And do not believe anything can be poured until October.  So I still will not be able to do body work till next year.  The first quote was for $22000.  Enough to paint my car twice or more.  But the pad is a long term thing that will help with these issues in the future. 

Eldovert

Perhaps some larger wheels on the rotisserie and gravel pad would work in the near term.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

Clewisiii

I ordered a set of four door sills from McVeys.  These are getting expensive.  But I was happy to get a set and even get one with the correct Fleetwood logo.

Sorry I do not want to open the plastic yet

robailey

I just spent a Sunday afternoon reading your post. I enjoyed it and found so much information both interesting and informative. Although my 87 doesn't need as much work you have inspired me.
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special
2014 XTS

Clewisiii

Quote from: robailey on September 25, 2022, 11:38:48 PMI just spent a Sunday afternoon reading your post. I enjoyed it and found so much information both interesting and informative. Although my 87 doesn't need as much work you have inspired me.

Thank You. I try to be detailed, and celebrate every success or activity. My hobby is not to own the car, but to restore the car.  So I am comfortable making mistakes and seeing what is possible or what I am capable of.

Clewisiii

$120 for this Fleetwood trunk emblem from OPGI and I still have to paint it. 

It took a few months to get.  I ordered all the emblems for my car other then the Fleetwood dash emblem. Not available.

Everything else is still on backorder. One of them is saying estimate sometime in 2024.

Clewisiii

Well I am a little annoyed. My new map light lense I bought from McVeys is actually more amber then the original.  I wanted to replicate the original. Not the original plus 30 years of Nicotine.

Clewisiii

One leg of my new hood V is bent. Sticks up 1/8 inch on the hood.  But it is real light gauge compared to the original.  It can bend back easy but I hate bending chrome.