News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

I could not find a set of ground straps for the upper AArms. So I decided to make a set.  Less then $30 and I have enough to make 50. 

Now I just need to find an appropriate screw for the attachment to the AArm

IMG_20230605_174837797.jpgIMG_20230605_180419852.jpgIMG_20230605_180734042.jpg   
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Clewisiii

Quote from: 6262 on June 06, 2023, 12:29:55 AM@Clewisiii  Where did you get this set?

I bought the material on Amazon and crimped my own.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Cadman-iac

In the interest of continuity, you may want to solder your terminals in addition to the crimp just to be sure you have a good connection.
 I solder every terminal myself to ensure there are no problems.
 I realize that these are just ground straps, but the solder would help keep the strap from pulling out of your terminals if there were any stress on them for some reason.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Clewisiii

My front springs are ready to reinstall.  But man I hate it. These seem to compress by half just for install. 

I may wait until the engine and trans is in place just so that the front springs have some type of weight on them while sitting. 

IMG_20230607_195945051.jpg

Cadman-iac

Yeah, the problem with no weight on your suspension is that the bumper stops are squashed, unless you leave them out until after there's enough weight on the frame so you can install them without any pressure on them then.
 Your frame looks great though.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Carl,

The best method is to cut some pieces of hardwood to the desired height, and simply put them in place of the coil springs.   Complete the car build, and when there is sufficient mass on the front end, then use the vehicles weight to aid in fitting the actual springs.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

It is a little nerve racking cutting the holes for the radiator overflow clips.  Every little slip drilling the corner holes was scary. But I think I did fine. I don't think that I actually touched the inner tubes and they seem to be as tough as this outer plate which took a bit to actually drill through.

IMG_20230613_194647775.jpgIMG_20230613_194659621.jpgIMG_20230613_195648616.jpg   

Clewisiii

I ordered my exhaust from Waldron's today. I got stainless steel. I also ordered the heat riser spacer from Caddy Daddy with a few other odds and ends.

My distributor is boxed up in my car. Waiting for me to drop off at the post office.

Waiting to hear about my trans cooler lines. They should be done this week or early next week

So I am excited. Feeling motivated.

Clewisiii

Light dusting on the core. I will get a couple of coats on the tanks. 

I ordered the overflow clips. I ordered the radiator hoses. And I have a set of NOS hose clamps. 

I still hope to set the motor next week.
But I don't believe I will start it till October. 

IMG_20230614_193643628_HDR.jpg

Clewisiii

What are your thoughts on radiator caps and originality. 

I think the authenticity manual says they are gloss black. I have my original but I assume the temp spring is probably inaccurate now.

Would you just pick one up at the parts store.  Or is there a more appropriate option.

Clewisiii

Heat Riser Spacer. $100

There is a steel shop and a laser cutter around the corner from me. I should try to make some money.

IMG_20230617_145301579.jpg

Clewisiii

Well I managed to get this ball joint for $140. Still expensive

IMG_20230617_153602090.jpg

Clewisiii

Looking at my parts car, and the bracket on the rh manifold.  I remember the bolt on the front. But I do not remember the rear

The parts car was already apart and a few things switched out.   What goes to the rear of this bracket on a 61 with AC.

IMG_20230617_160815047.jpg

David King (kz78hy)

The bracket on the exhaust manifold looks to be the generator bracket
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

David Greenburg

Definitely looks like a generator bracket.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

Quote from: David Greenburg on June 19, 2023, 01:44:40 AMDefinitely looks like a generator bracket.

Yes I remember using the front side of this bracket
But I cannot remember how the back engaged. I will find out in a couple of weeks

Clewisiii

Very surprising what a quick trip through an acid bath can do to clean up these brackets.  Anyone else a a surprising acid trip?

IMG_20230619_125353865.jpgIMG_20230619_140845316.jpg 

Clewisiii

Tedious. Beyond tedious.  Jason does not have all the restored fasteners I will need for my 61. And some parts are too big for my small plating set up. So this batch is going to a yellow zinc plater to be barrel plated.

Bead blasting out every thread. I have worn through the gloves in my blasting cabinet.
IMG_20230619_123930396_HDR.jpg

Clewisiii

Thank you @StevenTuck for guinea pigging the Corvette door conduits. My set showed up today.
IMG_20230619_184037779.jpg