News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

I understand that and gave up on pushing the Fleetwood coating issue. It was not worth the fight to me.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: StevenTuck on February 27, 2020, 08:30:49 AM
I discovered that Lincoln used the same mirror through 1966. The mounting bracket was different but the mirror was the same.
They are not really easier to find!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Clewisiii

The hoist for my garage came in. It looks great. 1 ton limit. Wireless remote controls lift up and down. And side to side travel along the beam.

But it is a hundred pounds. And I have to lift it 11 feet in the air and slide the drive wheels onto the beam tight to the ceiling.   Not gonna be easy. So I ask for help and start getting things ready.

I set up some ladders and unbolted my end stop and festoon power cable system.

Then this stares me in the face. There is only a 2.5 inch gap between the mounting nuts and the beam lip. What is the drive wheel size.

4 inches. Dang.  The drive trolly said how wide the beam needed to be. But not height. I need to mount a new taller 12ft beam to my ceiling. And that was not easy at all to get up there.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Roger Zimmermann

Bad luck! I hope that your ceiling can withstand the load!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Clewisiii

There is a 2 inch steel pipe spanning seven trusses at a joint.  Then there are axle hangers on them coming down through the ceiling to attach the I beam.  To protect the integrity of the trusses I did not want any bolt holes in the actual truss.  I should be fine for what I am doing.

Clewisiii

The carb is back.

Caddyholic

Who did the carb price and turn around time?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Clewisiii

1month. $450 for plating parts rebuild and shipping. I will get back to you on who.

Clewisiii

Custom Rebuilt Carbs

Clewisiii

And my hoist is up. Works well. I need to add an additional hard stop to prevent it from hitting a ceiling fan.  All of this garage remodel was due to the fact that my building conditions were actually causing damage to the car. The next big thing is replacing the erroding floor. It causes so much dust that it hurts my paint coats.

Clewisiii

One other addition after my floor is poured is this paint spray booth I bought from work. It is an open face bench top model. It will help to keep overspray from small to medium parts traveling around my work area and landing on stuff. I already have some spray glue overspray that got on a door. 

Clewisiii

I pulled the band-aid and ordered my fabric, vinyl, and leather from SMS today.  I will hope for the best in shipping. But if it is 6 months I am ok with that.  I did ask for a pre-sewn headliner so that might slow it down.

Andrew Trout

Did you purchase trunk carpet from them as well? My '61 convertible could use some new trunk carpet, but I've read some decidedly mixed reviews from SMS. 

Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Clewisiii

I bought 6 yards of Interior Fabric, 5 yards of Vinyl, 4 yards of Trunk Liner,  1 Sewn Headliner, 2 yards of Headliner material.  One note on the Fleetwood rear seat there is a border vinyl along the carpet that is a darker color then the standard listed vinyl.  I sent them a picture of this and asked to purchase 2/3rds of a yard.  Even if the color is not exact it is ok.  The seat bottom and the door panel lower section by carpet are the only areas with that color. 

Clewisiii

Here is the other vinyl not regularly listed in the book.  The rear seat lower and trim edge around the door panel carpet.

scotth3886

Quote from: Andrew Trout on April 23, 2020, 04:47:39 PM
Did you purchase trunk carpet from them as well? My '61 convertible could use some new trunk carpet, but I've read some decidedly mixed reviews from SMS.

Yep.

I just ordered a complete trunk kit from Jenkins Interiors

Clewisiii

Well I do not have much in front of me to work on, so I thought I would just give a status update.

Engine
The engine is still at the machine shop. It has been 2.5 months.  But due to the current situation I am not going to give them a hard time.  I am not in a hurry.   I called to ask if they needed another payment yet. I do not know if they have ordered the rebuild parts yet. But no answer yet.

Mirror
I got my review mirror back from the mirror lady. I already purchased a reproduction driver and passenger mirror. Sometime before painting I will need to drill the passenger door for the mirror.  I have a replacement vanity mirror I bought from McVeys.

Dash
Just dashes called me yesterday and said they would pay for the shipping on my dash after giving me a restoration quote a while ago.  So I shipped the dash and the Pillar lower filler pieces to them yesterday.  I don't know how long that will take.  But I do not care.

Fabric
I ordered the fabric, vinyl, leather, headliner, and trunk fabric from SMS 3 weeks ago.  If it is 6 months I am ok with it.  I still think I will need to call them with reminders or updates.  I am wondering if monthly is appropriate. To begin with I may give them two months.

Seats
I had already made new foam pieces for the seating. But I am second guessing it.  The original foam is latex foam.  I made my replacements with high density foam. But I think I will redo them with latex foam.  I will order from the Foam Factory here in Michigan.  I will do it some time in the next few months.

Interior Boards
I will need to order the boards to replace the door panels, rear parcel shelf, sail panels, and lower kick panels.  The original is a hard cardboard like material.  Most of the upholstery guys I talk to suggest I use 1/8 inch thick ABS plastic panels for the replacement. No need to worry about water.   I think I will buy both and test them and pick one.

With all of this interior work going on I started to get quotes for the chrome.  Right now I think I will work with Reds Parts Attic from Texas.  Another thought is on my steering wheel.  I do not want to spend the money  yet.  But once I can work through the irons I currently have in the fire, I may start shopping around for that restoration.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Clewisiii on May 05, 2020, 09:11:53 PM
Dash
Just dashes called me yesterday and said they would pay for the shipping on my dash after giving me a restoration quote a while ago.  So I shipped the dash and the Pillar lower filler pieces to them yesterday.

That's unusual! Maybe they don't have enough orders for the moment...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

JohnnyRockit

I’m enjoying watching your restoration. York Blue is a rare color. I have a York Blue 1962 Coupe Deville and I haven’t run across another vintage Caddy in that color for years.

JohnE
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

Clewisiii

Thank You,

From the 61 62 vehicle registry on the old 61-62 forum, 2 percent of the registered cars were york blue.  But I have only seen 1 or 2 vehicles in that color since then.