News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

"Best" Year in Perspective

Started by jdemerson, March 15, 2020, 10:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdemerson

Quote from: jdemerson on March 15, 2020, 10:09:44 AM

Thinking about "best" years for Cadillac, at least three rather different criteria seem relevant:

• "Best" in an emotional sense, a subjective sense of personal appeal.
  • "Best" in the context of other models of the same general type (e.g., luxury sedans) in the same years.
  • "Best" in a strictly objective "hard-nosed" sense, considering drivability, performance, comfort, safety, reliability, longevity, and more

I've enjoyed the responses and perspectives shared. Of course many are entirely subjective, relating mostly to the first category -- as expected!

Few comments have related to the second criteria -- "Best" in context of other models of same vintage. In my mind, from 1946 through 1960 it's no contest. For example, the 1952 Cadillac was arguable the best production car in the world even though many other years' models are far more desirably to collectors.

An interesting question arises in the 1960s. Many responses here have been highly favorable to various 1960s Cadillacs -- 61-62; 63-64; 65-66; 67-68; and 69-70. Taking all three criteria into account, my favorite 60s Cadillac would be a 1968 Fleetwood Sedan, but this is subjective in some measure.

The 1961-69 Lincoln Continental is regarded by many as a beautiful and iconic Lincoln, launching a new era for Lincoln. Style-wise, it's a classic. The four-door convertible was a stunner, although I've heard reports of a sagging mid-body section. I've also heard that these Lincolns are very challenging to restore, with parts especially scarce. But even so, if I were considering any luxury car from the 50s, 60s, 70s, besides Cadillac, I think it would be a Lincoln Continental from the 60s, or possibly a Continental Mark III from 1969. Any thoughts relating to the second criteria and these models in particular? With regard to the third criteria, I suspect that they may not measure up to Cadillac, though I don't know that for sure.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan  6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

artdan

My favorite Cadillac is the 57 Biarritz.
Design, style, innovation, its all there.
I am currently restoring one, although it has been quite a challenge.

I own a 57 Continental Mark II, and I still consider it to be the best designed and best built car I know.
But we all have our biases.
When you consider the detail and quality of construction, the Mark II still is on top.
I've owned the Continental for a dozen years now, and nothing gives me greater pleasure on the road and off.

I am enjoying learning about, and appreciating Cadillacs, and I look forward paying closer attention to these beauties.
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Continental Mark II
1960 Corvette
1956 Thunderbird (sold)
1965 Buick Riviera (sold)
1975 Datsun 280 Z (sold)