News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carpet colour for 1972 Eldorado

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), November 01, 2021, 05:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

I have to get some carpet to replace what was attached to the seat base of my 1972 Eldorado front seat and am having trouble figuring out just what my original colour was, so I can get the replacement from ACC.

My car is Trim No. 483 Antique Light Covert, Paint is 94  Patrician Covert Firemist and originally fitted with a E code Beige top

The closest colour for the Carpet that I can find is a choice of Fawn Sandalwood or possibly Moss Green.

Is there any way of finding what colour carpet would be available as standard with my car?

Picture No. P1310922 is on the trash container, and the picture P1310926 is on the bottom of the door.

I am venturing to Fawn Sandalwood, but as we all know, the colours that are in pamphlets and samples can be different.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Any suggestions?   Got to do something very soon so I can complete the reupholstering.

Thanks,

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

35-709

Definitely doesn't appear to be Moss Green from the pictures, Bruce.  I know it would take more time, but maybe you could send ACC a piece of your carpet and have them match it as best they can.  My opinion is Fawn Sandalwood is your best bet.
Geoff
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

79 Eldorado

Bruce,
Years ago ACC sent me a swatch of the 3 possible colors I thought a carpet of mine could be so I could compare them. If that would be a difficult ask based on location possibly you could do as Geoff suggested; maybe trim a piece from a corner extending under the back seat. At least as far as paints are concerned there are some colors which can selectively fade and thus cause a color to look different. Maybe that caused your carpet to look different.

Best regards,
Scott

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Scott,

Yes, I have thought about getting samples, which I might have to do as the reason I want to stay as close to the original as possible is that there is nothing wrong with the bottoms of the doors, or the trash receptacle, and the bottoms of the rear quarter panel.

There is nothing really wrong with my whole carpet, which I was surprised as the seat bases were worn out, but as I only really need to get the correct colour for the back of the front seat bases, I my as well go for a new carpet, with matching extra material.

When I sent the original seat covers away, as patterns, I was under the impression that the shop would simply transfer the carpet pieces onto the new covers, as there was nothing wrong with these pieces.   I didn't remove them as they would have had to be re-sewn back on.   The place said that they would send them back, but this hasn't happened.   What they did put in place of the original was a carpet-like material, but in white, which will get very dirty, very quickly.

As I am trying to get the interior finished before next April, with freight timelines creating possible headaches, due to Christmas deliveries and the like, too much back and forth just takes too long for my liking.

PS.   I tried to contact ACC by their own internet Contacting, but that didn't work, so I finally went outside that, and directly emailed them.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

79 Eldorado

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the added detail. That stinks they didn't reuse or return the original carpet. I don't know what Cadillac did in 1972 but very often different parts are supplied/manufactured by different suppliers. When that is the case they normally get a standard to reference but things don't always match perfectly. Maybe in 1972 Cadillac coordinated pieces of carpet with different suppliers if, for example, one supplier supplied interior panels but not the carpet.. not certain. Even different dye-lots from the same supplier can have variation though.

The one good thing it seems you have going for you is that seat bottoms are viewed at a different angle and so a very slight difference may be perceived even if the carpet is the same (may look normal or could be reasonable explained by angle/ dye lot). Your plan ensures you get everything in exactly the same color but if the original main carpet is in great shape, other than the white they used on the seat bottoms, I might be tempted to compare the extra material and install on the seat bottoms first. If it looks like it matches well I would possibly save the full carpet for another time. Your full plan includes redoing the door bottoms and trash basket then too I guess.

I hope everything goes well,
Scott

The Tassie Devil(le)

Scott,

Here is a picture of the seat bottom with the carpet attached.

The last picture shows how much of the carpet is shown.   The seat is out of the '71 and I fitted the '71 seats to the car when I pulled the original seats out so I could still drive her.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Update.

ACC has returned my email and samples are on their way.

Thanks to all.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe