News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 starter solinoid problem

Started by Joe Jensen, May 31, 2021, 08:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Jensen

I need a new solinoid or rebuild kit with the bakelite piece (I think that is what it is called).  my bakelite crumbled and allowed metal to metal contact (short).Anyone know agG
place to get this or a good aftermarket solinoid?  I tried an aftermarket one before and it would work with out 7 volts.  Any battery drain left me in trouble.

Thanks!
Joe

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

For your info the 49 solenoid is one year only but the good news is all of the internal parts are identical to the 2nd generation flathead starter and solenoid.  The only difference is the radial orientation of it.  In other words the bracket welded to the solenoid is at a different angle than the flathead ones.  In 50 the relay was eliminated so they are completely different and will not work with the wiring in the 49.  Swapping parts from a flathead one is the way to fix this.  Very unlikely and pricey to buy a 49 one.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Joe Jensen

Update...

All I installed another aftermarket Delco early 6v solenoid (P/N 7-929) on my starter.  It worked for a few days but then it started not working really well. I would only get a click of the solenoid (sounds like what you would get with a low battery) but no engagement of the starter.  I suspected a low battery but that was not the case.  I was able to jumper the terminal for the battery to the starter solenoid and it worked great.  I suspected the solenoid was not getting enough current to make it work correctly.  So, I added a 6v starter relay, Napa ST58.  I used 12 gauge wire from the battery connection to the starter and the other side to the terminal on the solenoid where the starter push button was connected.  I connected the starter push button wire (goes through the neutral safety switch) to the 6v relay.  This has solved my starter issues.

I mounted the relay right next to the starter on the frame to keep it less visible.  I used a special side view mirror nut 1/4x20 that I installed in the frame after I drilled the holes.  The special nuts squish together to keep the nut in place and prevent spinning of the nut.  The frame at this point is boxed so you can't get to the inside to use a regular nut.

I hope this might help others who have this same issue.

I do intend to try to repair my original solenoid, so I kept all wiring so that everything I installed could be removed easily once I have a working original solenoid.

Thanks,
Joe

Daryl Chesterman

Joe, I don't know if this is the correct solenoid for your starter, but there is one on eBay that the seller says is for your 1949.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264845621408?hash=item3daa0778a0:g:l8EAAOSwxc9fTTZ0

Pricey, but if it is correct, and you want it bad enough, have at it!!!

Daryl Chesterman

jackworstell

I have repaired solenoids of this type before using
sheet hylon or sheet delrin ( I suspect other
types of sheet plastic would also work )

It is tedious to do

Jack Worstell

Joe Jensen

I am planning on getting some garolite from McMaster Carr and attempting to repair my original solenoid. https://www.mcmaster.com/garolite-sheets/performance-properties~high-temperature/multipurpose-flame-retardant-garolite-g-10-fr4-sheets-and-bars/

Garolite is non-conductive and can handle high temperatures.  I am thinking this will be a good choice.

I am leery about buying another solenoid because bakelite deteriorates and I may spend a whole lot to get one with the same issue as the one I have.

I probably repair my solenoid as a winter project.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe Jensen

Update...

After using the aftermarket solenoid since June of this year it failed on me in early September.   The contacts were transfering metal where the battery cable lug, plunger and stater motor lug contact.

Ended up finding a NOS starter solenoid rebuild kit on eBay (it was slightly different then the one in my starter).  It was part number DR 482. I used the parts from the kit to fix my solenoid, some modifications were required but those were very simple.

Just thought I would share in case anyone else is thinking of trying the early Delco replacement solenoid on thier 1949 starter.  For me it was a very temporary fix that probably wasn't worth the effort.

Joe