News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Retraction of my "endorsement"

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, December 04, 2021, 05:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dn010

Rock Auto is only selling the part, they're not the ones producing the parts so the blame should be on the company doing the producing/remanufacturing for the part going bad.

My tactic is to search Rock Auto first for a part, take the part number(s) they give me and do a google search of that number to see where it can be had for less.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

gkhashem

Quote from: dn010 on December 06, 2021, 03:23:50 PM
Rock Auto is only selling the part, they're not the ones producing the parts so the blame should be on the company doing the producing/remanufacturing for the part going bad.

My tactic is to search Rock Auto first for a part, take the part number(s) they give me and do a google search of that number to see where it can be had for less.

Do not know about you but usually it is not for less going elsewhere even with the shipping. I take the 5% discount from Rock Auto and go from there. Also I look for sales and have picked up many AC Delco oil, air, and fuel filters cheap on sale. But I usually buy more than one to make the shipping reasonable.

I have bought about 5 or so A/C compressors and my A/C guy says buy the new one if possible. He hates any remanufactured ones. I know this is not always possible on an older car but on my 37-22 year old cars I can usually still get a new A/C Delco one. Rock Auto is almost always the lowest price for a new one in my experience. So I go new and I have never got a bad one yet that was new.

But I agree it stinks not being able to talk to someone. Its been like this for about 5 years or so.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

EAM 17806

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 04, 2021, 08:07:06 PM
Thanks Brian
I think If and when I need another A-6 I'll use one that I personally rebuilt. It does seem that Rock auto has gotten quite impersonal without even a phone number for customer service
Greg Surfas
GREG!  i NEVER use Rock Auto to buy parts because of their impersonal agenda and lack of customer service when and if we would have a problem.  There are many other good part dealers in our beautiful country,  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TonyZappone #2624

I truly believe that it is a disservice to any organization not to report a situation which seems to be not in accord with good business practices.  There are so many great vendors for our cars.  However, when one sticks out as being consistently providing dissatisfaction, it is ones' duty to share that information
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

wheikkila

Sometimes I don't think any of the parts suppliers care. I have built close to a 100 motorcycles over 25 years. I purchased the same electronic ignition for all of them. They came out with a distributorless system for a vw. It was very expensive. But when it worked. It made a big difference. The problem was the brain would die with no warning. The sent me 5 in six months and admitted they were having problems with them. I asked if I could return it for some refund. I was told no. I then asked what were they going to do after the warranty ran out. They said I would have to purchase a new system. After the warranty ran out I removed the system after it quick working and have not purchased one of there ignition systems since. I don't get it. Up to then I was a big supporter.       

Gscutt

I have been buying from RockAuto for about 10 years now and have never once had an issue. I own old cars from both Ford and Cadillac and buy a lot of parts for them (also for my modern cars) and I have found the quality and service to be very good. I totally understand that things happen and I have had issues buying parts over the years from various places, but so far RockAuto has been a good place to work with. But I will keep all these posts in mind. 

35-709

I too have had good service from Rock Auto.  The only time I had to send something back was because I had ordered the wrong part (spark plugs).  Returning them and getting the correct plugs from RA was as easy as it could have been considering having to send something back is always kind of a pain in the butt.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Big Fins

Never an issue from them for anything from my '59 Cadillac to my wife's 2018 Explorer. My only issue from them is the cost of shipping and the way the parts are just tossed in an oversized box with no real protection. At least Amazon packs the stuff properly. They are great for parts too!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

EAM 17806

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 05, 2021, 10:23:52 AM
I'm thinking its been several years since rock has had people you could actually talk to.   

Maybe for cars that are less than 10 years old AC delco could mean something other than a blue box but its been my experience over the last several years that you are just paying more for the box and in most cases getting the identical crappy part as every other brand.   Its even been a while since I have even seen them to print any sort of branding or even any kind of part number on the parts themselves, its literally just the box.
You are aware that most AC Delco parts are made in CHINA, aren't you!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

mario

Hi greg:
The box was made in u.s.a., not what was inside...lololol
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto