News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

472/500 rocker arm specs

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, January 05, 2022, 05:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Anyone got a new rocker arm they can measure at the bottom of the opening as I am showing? Trying to determine if the rockers I've got are within usable tolerances?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Matti R

I don`t have rocker arm, but is that measurement of the bottom important for the operation of rocker arm?
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

MaR

Quote from: Matti R on January 06, 2022, 03:40:20 AM
I don`t have rocker arm, but is that measurement of the bottom important for the operation of rocker arm?
That's the wear point on the rocker.

hornetball

Greg, in my experience, the valve tip side or pushrod cup side of the rocker arm will be visibly destroyed by lack of lubrication long before there is any effect on the shaft wear surface.  Maybe that's why Cadillac didn't bother to publish thickness specs?

Are you experiencing slack that the hydraulic lifters can't take up?

Rick,
I'm doing my regular "once in a century" garage straightening and in the process I have found 6 engines worth of push rods, pedestals, rockers and spring retaining clips.  Now I know everyone needs to have a few spares, but I just want to know what I have.  Knowing the original thickness at that point will give me an idea of how far the ones I have might be worn, say percentage wise, and how much the pedestals would have to be trimmed to use the slightly worn ones to maintain pre-load.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

hornetball

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on January 06, 2022, 12:33:33 PMI'm doing my regular "once in a century" garage straightening

This one caused a nasal-passage coffee flush.  Thanks a lot!   ;D

Can't help with the measurement though.  All the rocker arms I have are used.  I've bought good, used rocker arms from Cad Company before.  Maybe they have a specification?

Matti R

Just idea: would it make more sense to measure that the internal diameter is not too big?
But I do not have worn limit for that.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

hornetball

The internal diameter is not critical.  It fits on the T-post loosely (it's oversize).  Only the bottom portion rubs on the T-post, and that is the part Greg is wondering about.

Took a closer look and it seems the shaft on the pedestal does not go all the way in, there is about .0015 that is unworn. Measuring the unworn thickness and subtracting the worn thickness will give me the actual wear.  I checked a few and what I found was typically 2-3/1000 worth of wear.  This would not translate to enough to effect the pre-load.  Thanks all for the help.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Matti R

Quote from: hornetball on January 06, 2022, 05:20:54 PM
The internal diameter is not critical.  It fits on the T-post loosely (it's oversize).  Only the bottom portion rubs on the T-post, and that is the part Greg is wondering about.
Thanks!
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe