News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The ARK arrives at the body shop

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, February 22, 2022, 12:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

79 Eldorado

Great addition and great nod to Charles! The right side mirror is a must if you're going as far as you are. The car looks more balanced and a big safety improvement!

Scott Nellis

Wise decision adding the right side mirror to your pride and joy. All this time, effort, and of course money spent on beautifying the ARK would all be wasted if you made a lane change not knowing someone was in your blind spot and side-swiped another vehicle. All of the Cadillacs I currently own are Landau style hearses which have large blind spots on the right side, but fortunately they all have right side mirrors. However, the right side mirror on my 1970 has some minor damage. I you, or anyone reading this knows of where I could obtain a good used one please PM me.
  I would have to agree with James about your way with words Laurie. You definitely have a way of hitting the nail right on the head in that respect and although I am new to the CLC and this forum, you certainly spice things up a bit. Thanks for keeping things interesting and thanks for restoring your beautiful Cadillac.
1957 Eureka Hearse
1965 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Superior Hearse

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on March 26, 2022, 02:21:51 PM
Great addition and great nod to Charles! The right side mirror is a must if you're going as far as you are. The car looks more balanced and a big safety improvement!

God I miss Charles... such a nice, kind man. So interesting to chat 70 Fleetwood with as he had one, "Great White". And the parts he had, jeez.... Spent years haunting the junk yards of SoCal for 70 Caddy parts, I've benefited SO MANY times from his labor of love. ALL my door courtesy light lenses are from him, he sent them free. The new choke stove, drivers cigarette lighter, door trim, everything like new. He sent me a brand new set of 1970 Cadillac keys as a surprise, uncut. I promised they wouldn't be cut until the car was DONE. And the mirror! I wonder how many other Charles parts are on the car that I forgot about. I know the new door handles came from him, sold to another guy that I bought them from. Jeez I wish he was here in person to watch the Ark's rebirth. I know he's watching from Heaven and cheering us on. His name is on the new showboard. What a loss, what a shame. I pray he didn't suffer.... And I *KNOW* he's watching over us.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Scott Nellis on March 27, 2022, 12:35:10 AM
  Wise decision adding the right side mirror to your pride and joy. All this time, effort, and of course money spent on beautifying the ARK would all be wasted if you made a lane change not knowing someone was in your blind spot and side-swiped another vehicle. All of the Cadillacs I currently own are Landau style hearses which have large blind spots on the right side, but fortunately they all have right side mirrors. However, the right side mirror on my 1970 has some minor damage. I you, or anyone reading this knows of where I could obtain a good used one please PM me.
  I would have to agree with James about your way with words Laurie. You definitely have a way of hitting the nail right on the head in that respect and although I am new to the CLC and this forum, you certainly spice things up a bit. Thanks for keeping things interesting and thanks for restoring your beautiful Cadillac.

Oh I have a way with words alright, more than once giving the puritans here a case of the vapors and my post gets deleted. FB friend me, I'll show you "spice", LMAO! But thank you for the compliment. That mirror shouldn't be hard to find, its the body that's the hard part. There are no 70 mirrors out there, all repo's now and they look like $hit. The Ark rules, its my baby, and he'll be awesome when done. My biggest fear is I get afraid to drive it. He's my 'daily driver' 3 seasons when the weather is good. I'd start with John Abend on FBook for that mirror, doubt he'll have it in stock but he will know where they are. Let me know how it works out...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Yah baby! Some of the jewelry came back already. Body shop requested these pieces first to adjust fit/finish of some new panels. Amazing work, driver quality to show quality, you get what you pay for. Body shop is just hitting this out of the park.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

jaxops

It's all in the details Laurie!  Looking good!

Mark M
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Do these guys ever take a day off? On Sunday? The Ark gets his first taste of the $1566.13 PPG paint, 40E (K) Mazda Blue Metallic d/b/a *ORIGINAL* Code 93 Lucerne Aqua, a blue. 1 color code, 2 colors, 4 names (Lucerne Aqua, Lucerne Aqua Poly, <Oct-Dec 1969, The Ark was born November1969.> Then changes to green January 1970 - Lucerne Aqua Poly Firemist, Lucerne Aqua Firemist). This is why I lost my f'ing mind with the paint. Attached a pic to show both colors. The green is the "Lucerne Aqua Firemist" - this is when I threw the flag, THAT'S THE WRONG COLOR, things got ugly, and I went NUTS in search of an old, original 'lucerne aqua' paint chip. Dickie found it, mixed the color in his shop, and it MATCHED. Then he matched that to the PPG color chip. Ordered, shipped, arrived, sprayed out AGAIN in front of me, it matched. Brought to shop, some spraying done tonight, paint chip paddle that was sprayed out in front of me and given to the body shop held beside the trunk tonight in a video call, it matches. Yes a video call at 8pm, these guys never stop. Kill the lights in the shop, the paint turns turquoise just like its supposed to. Bright lights on, its blue. Yes I'm glad I stuck to my guns (so to speak) and got the CORRECT color for the car when everyone was telling me I was nuts. Who's nuts now?

Video below on Facebook of them spraying out the trunk tonight, I've made this post 'public' so we don't have to be FB friends for you to see it. A pic of the 2 colors both Code 93, and 2 of the trunk. I'm really happy. This is over.

https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/posts/4961108690670907

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Since I'm not done beating a dead horse (women are like that, ami right?  ;D ) to truly authenticate the color your 1970
Cadillac is supposed to be if the data plate says Code 93: If the instrument panel and A pillars are original and blue, your car
is supposed to be blue. They've been replaced? Check your package shelf if its original, remove the piece of trim that runs left
to right, fresh material will be under the faded surface, if its blue, your car was blue. During a total repaint, as they're sanding
down to raw metal, they may find blue paint, as happened with The Ark. Additionally check the build sheet; if your 1970 was
manufactured in 1969 like The Ark was, its supposed to be blue. January 1970 forward, its supposed to be green (unless any
of the above hints are present), let your car tell you its story with a thorough exam as outlined above. This information should
be added to a 1970 authenticity manual if it exists, or included should one be written. Note "Lucerne Aqua" is the color
stated in the 1970 Data Book and the 1970 Optional Specification book, not "Lucerne Aqua Firemist". Also is a comment in the
Optional Specifications book about instrument panel color. I really hope this clears up any confusion for others with 1970's and Code 93 for paint. The End.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Big Fins

There are a lot of Charles' parts on both the '69 FWB and the Eldorado. They are all front and center parts too.

RIP my friend. You ARE missed!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Big Fins on March 29, 2022, 02:35:34 PM
There are a lot of Charles' parts on both the '69 FWB and the Eldorado. They are all front and center parts too.

RIP my friend. You ARE missed!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

wrefakis

manual is from 8/69
firemist colors were all listed by name under the "firemist color" section
had 5 original code 93 from 9/69 to 5/70 dates all the same color
lucerne was always an optional firemist color
check you 70 shop supplements  any changes in paint would be noted, do not recall any for code 93

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: wrefakis on March 30, 2022, 02:00:07 PM
manual is from 8/69
firemist colors were all listed by name under the "firemist color" section
had 5 original code 93 from 9/69 to 5/70 dates all the same color
lucerne was always an optional firemist color
check you 70 shop supplements  any changes in paint would be noted, do not recall any for code 93

Data Book is for 1970.
Optional Specifications is for 1970.
*BOTH* list Code 93 as Lucerne Aqua
(^ I even posted pics of the books and their nomenclature above ^)
The word 'firemist' is easily seen as an option for a type of paint, not a color.
Its been proven they are NOT the same color, blue was early, green came 3-4 months later.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

wrefakis

data book for 1970 is compiled and published in august 1969
service item changes were noted in the monthly updates
they were noted in supplements by vin number beginning with, a change in anything related to current model years cars would be noted ,like the "new spring color"Lanai green

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: wrefakis on March 31, 2022, 11:03:20 AM
data book for 1970 is compiled and published in august 1969
service item changes were noted in the monthly updates
they were noted in supplements by vin number beginning with, a change in anything related to current model years cars would be noted ,like the "new spring color"Lanai green

EXCELLENT! Find those for me and I'll add it to the information I already have.
Thanks!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

How I *LOVE* pics from the body shop. The inner "door jambs" on the B pillar side for the front doors are plastic and unobtanium. Trust me, I've tried. Over the years they all cracked and failed, The Ark's are cracked too. But this body shop somehow heat welded them. You get what you pay for. Check out the screws and hinges too. Earlier they found the original oil change sticker on the inner door, from the dealer who sold The Ark new in 1969, Norwood Automobile Company now known as Cadillac of Norwood. PLEASE SAVE THAT STICKER. They did... Mhm... The devil is in the details, etc.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

AND I bought The Ark new jewelry... Tail light and headlight bezels in PRISTINE condition from Gar Tompkins in sunny, dry CA.
Super necessary? No. File under: "may as well".

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

wrefakis

i will actually grab them next time i am at shop and see what paint updates exist for 70

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: wrefakis on March 31, 2022, 05:57:26 PM
i will actually grab them next time i am at shop and see what paint updates exist for 70

EXCELLENT!
And here's my old PPG paint chart to go along with whatever you find.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

MORE PICS from the shop today, these guys never sleep. Its fun, easy to tell which pics were taken in the day
time and which were taken at night. The paint turns more turquoise at night. PPG baby, you get what you pay for.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

People have been asking, this is the company doing all the stainless, and turning 'daily driver' into "NOS", $imply
exqui$uite work. You get what you pay for.'

http://www.brightworksrestoration.com/index.htm

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville