News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The ARK arrives at the body shop

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, February 22, 2022, 12:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

59-in-pieces

Kent,

You do mean BRIGHT & SHINY.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Here's a swatch the shop sprayed out for me. The paint is a perfect match, 93, Lucerne Aqua Firemist.
It was the color of the paint in the can, no doubt altered by the phone that took the picture and my screen
on my laptop that viewed it, which made it look green and that flipped my b1tch switch.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

jaxops

Nice, very nice Laurie.  Always a sucker for a blue car, this really pops.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Highwayman68

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on February 27, 2022, 12:26:04 AM
Good to get a spray-out but I suspect the painter is likely using a scanning paint match system and maybe tweaking. The photo above shows some of the paint they mixed on the paint under the trunk. At least in the photo it matches well.

I personally like going with the original or a modern take on original but I was a little surprised by the choice because the current color seems to have been part of the personality.

The current color is the red headed step child that everyone has been waiting for to get a job and move out of the house.

I too always prefer original.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

79 Eldorado

Quote from: Highwayman68 on February 27, 2022, 06:52:50 PM
The current color is the red headed step child that everyone has been waiting for to get a job and move out of the house....
Mark,
Thanks for the explanation... I guess the painter didn't realize it either with the initial mix :)

Scott

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on February 27, 2022, 07:02:06 PM
Mark,
Thanks for the explanation... I guess the painter didn't realize it either with the initial mix :)

Scott

Hey, I'M A RED HEAD. NATURAL RED HEAD

The initial mix was the CORRECT mix. It was the camera's being used for pics that distorted the color.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: jaxops on February 27, 2022, 11:51:10 AM
Nice, very nice Laurie.  Always a sucker for a blue car, this really pops.

:-* :-* :-*

Imagine when that color is 20' long and 8' wide...  8)

I've never seen another Caddy in the wild with this color.
I think it will be as unique as the Home Depot Teal. Only this time the color is data plate correct.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

79 Eldorado

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on February 27, 2022, 11:19:38 PM
Hey, I'M A RED HEAD. NATURAL RED HEAD...
I didn't say anything when he used the analogy but so am I :)

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on February 27, 2022, 11:29:49 PM
I didn't say anything when he used the analogy but so am I :)

NICE! Us gingers are heart breakers and soul stealers.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

59-in-pieces

My uncle had his Cad in FIREMIST.
A gr8 mix of high metallic - not shy - but also not a heavy metal flake - which is over the top 4 my taste.

Have fun,
Steve B.
Butchman
S. Butcher

D.Smith

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: D.Smith on March 01, 2022, 07:28:54 AM
It's gonna look GREAT!

Dave, you following on my FB page? I dumped more pics last night.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

chrisntam

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on March 01, 2022, 08:10:45 AM
Dave, you following on my FB page? I dumped more pics last night.

I think the hip word with the young crowd is "dropped".

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Fresh body shop pics, precision work.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

There's a reason why they properly named hurricane's after wimmin....

YES the spray outs looked like a dead match, in pictures. Then they were sent to me and I lost my mind.
They're green. My father's car was BLUE I physically HATE this green color. I'd rather paint the
car Vitamin C or Lemon Twist and bag it.

Reached out to a local paint guy with guru status, told him what was going on. He said to have a good sized piece
of the inside trunk, in the center, cut out and sent to me. Show up when I have the trunk piece and bring the spray outs.
That happened today... Imagine what happened next... Ready for some 1970 GM-Cadillac history?

I've attach pics of cars in the early Code 93 Lucerne Aqua Poly/Firemist color, its BLUE
Differences in hue easily attributed to age of paint, type of camera, amount of sunlight, the screen its
being viewed on, etc...

The guy said "what color are your door jambs" - blue
"What color is your dashboard and A pillars" - blue
"Your car is supposed to be the early blue before they switched to green."

Just like my Dad's. 😊

He actually found a blue 70 paint chip of 93 Lucerne Aqua POLY, before they changed the name and color to Lucerne Aqua Firemist, which is green. But kept the same 93 paint code. Confused yet?

He kicked up a lot of dust and went through a lot of boxes to find that. He has a WALL of paint chips from every possible
manufacturer. Took him 20 minutes to find 1 chip that matched, Mazda. And another chip to consider, Benz. Since it was Friday he let me take them home. I attached a pic of both chips from my table. And its WELL UNDERSTOOD the color
YOU see is not the color I see here in real time. I learned that the hard way.

THEN HE GOES INTO the minutia of paint formulas and I completely glazed over.
"This chip has a lot of metal flake, they didn't use that much metal flake in
1970. Here are the formulas... (at this point I want to effing shoot myself)."
And the effing sparkles... out comes 5 different bottles of 'pearls', each one
sampled with his finger and wiped on my hand. (I'm reaching for my Smith, just DO IT Laurie, end your pain.)

I spent a LOT of time with these 2 chips there, inside, outside, turning them, etc.
The Mazda "Aqua Blue Metallic" is my choice. I think. The Benz "Labradoritblau
Metallic" is 2nd. I have the weekend to decide but probably the Mazda color.

Now back to the effing sparkles...
Monday he's going to spray out, on big paddle samplers, the color I pick as per the current
formula, then another one with less sparkles, more 1970. I'll pick one. THAT
sample goes to HIS paint guy, who will mix a gallon and 2 quarts of whatever I pick with PPG.
ALL THREE OF THOSE will be sprayed out, again, in my presence. If they match,
they get shipped. If they're "off" back to the paint store to be tuned, brought back, and
sprayed out again. Until all 3 cans match what I want. Then they'll be shipped to the body shop.

*Already an update to this misery... I've chosen the Mazda color, that was my dad's color on his 70 Fleetwood as I remember it. And he had me 'help' him wash and wax that aircraft carrier more than once. Behind the blessed and
chosen sparkly chip #305A, was chip #305. #305 is far less sparkly, and when placed beside the old green spray outs
AND the trunk lid piece, is obviously far more 'firemist' and period correct. Pics were sent to friend/CLC judge/authenticity
manual author/and owner of a Caddy that's won every Caddy award Mike Josephic for opinion. Mike blessed chip #305.
I've attached a pic of 305A and 305 side by side. Forget the color, its a perfect match to 1970 Lucerne Aqua POLY which is BLUE.This was to compare the sparkles. The chip on the left won. #305 THANK YOU MIKE!

All this info has been forwarded to the body shop who appreciated my tenacity with solving the paint color issue, they
knew I wasn't happy. Better to change color now before they start painting, and that's a ways off.

And I've been coerced into attending the St. Patrick's Day parade here tomorrow
morning in the Irish Rivera known as Cape Cod. Erin Go Braugh, etc.

Bartender? Make it a double and bring it to the Master Bedroom.
Stick a (blue) fork in me, I'm done.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

79 Eldorado

Laurie,
You paint guys probably have a "sun gun"; something like this "3M SUN GUN II Light Kit provides a light source that replicates natural sunlight, allowing technicians to better match paint colors" Maybe that's why your color sample has an oval area where it's brighter due to light source.

Several things:
-Better now than later: Very good to sort it out because automotive paint is mega expensive
-Selecting color: My own experience: I was trying too hard to match a color until I finally realized I would be more happy selecting a "match" which was the color I liked the most; even if something actually matched a little better. That took a lot of self-convincing. You mentioned your judge friend but do you really care about a perfect match if there's another "match" which you like better?
-The sparkle/"metallic" in the paint: That can be a huge issue as some paints will want to somewhat separate despite the best mixing. It won't be obvious but especially with light colors it can be an issue. My paint guys had big problems even after recognizing it in a NAPA paint. That was despite them asking a guy who paints the same brand paint almost every day. Issue after issue they went back to the guy and he said "Oh you're painting a light color with a lot of metallic that can be an issue with NAPA paint". Yeah no s... Sherlock thanks for the warning!
-Micro-cracks: This comment is now pretty old but my paint guy who is also a good friend showed me his car which was painted with PPG probably 10 years earlier than my car and he micro-cracks in the paint. They occur as the paint dries/shrinks. They are barely visible even when pointed out but it had us questioning PPG even though it had been the go-to for a very long time.
-Colors components selective fading: My Cadillac is Western Saddle Firemist and the paint is original except where someone had damaged the paint changing a windshield before I got the car. The shop which painted that area for me mixes their own paint and color scans. They told me they ended up using essentially the original "recipe" but they needed to remove most of the red. It wasn't until that moment I realized that certain colors fade more than others and one reason the paint color changes is because some colors are fading more than others even withing the mixed/dried paint. For years I always thought my 1968 was originally green because it was obviously green and even the areas hidden for years in the cowl area covered by front fenders were obviously green. Well guess what? My car is Ash-Gold which 100% looks green on every Ash-green car I've ever seen. Anyone who doesn't know the name calls the color green. I've also seen people paint their Ash-gold cars gold and it looks totally wrong. So in the end that car will be painted a "modern take" which looks more green than gold and a color I like and can still call "the original" color.

Scott

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Scott thanks for the post, interesting.
Paint shop had every type of gun except ones that take magazines, those may have been in the office.
Good info on PPG, I'm on enough car forums on FB to run that up the flag pole and see who salutes, thanks.
This paint chip is not only a 'match' on paper but a 'match' in my mind, I'm very happy with it.
Remembering The Ark is 20' long, too much sparkle could cause a seizure when viewed, on a door stop sized
'vette, not so much. Fading is a big deal. Assuming a car hasn't had a frame off, the inside of the trunk lid or
better yet removing the inside door panel will let the car tell you its paint story. Good stuff.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

More pics from the body shop today, these guys are dedicated and relentless. Front right owie getting fixed, primer going on.... Jeez I miss my car. Days like today I remember having to 'beat' the parade to get to Michael, usually for mntx. Then taking my sweet time coming home, or just going for a cruise, until the parade was over and the streets were open. I think back on all the nice days I *COULD HAVE* taken The Ark for a cruise. I was too tired, I had something else, probably minor, to do. "Maybe tomorrow" etc... <sigh> Miss my baby... One thing fo' sho', that ocean of hood, that flight deck in front of me, is going to look a lot different next time.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Been a while since I posted pics, these guys are kicking a$$! Holy Cow! Whispers of primer next week? But trim won't be done for another month. So...

The Ark now has a PM (Project Manager), I was getting overwhelmed. THANK YOU MIKE JOSEPHIC! NOW, I just get a happy phone call from Mike, pictures sent, everything is on time and on schedule, happy Laurie! Happy Ark!

First pic is the chosen PPG paint after a spray out, the picture doesn't do this color (93 Lucerne Aqua POLY, the Ark's TRUE color) justice. The spray card is on my kitchen table, I look at it daily. If 'erotic' has a color, this is it. Paint is due Thursday locally, it will boxed and sprayed out AGAIN in front of me, clear coat added, compared to this chip, if it matches, it ships. If it doesn't, it goes back to be tuned until it does.

Check out the amount of bondo on the fender panel they cut out, over an inch think? And the new fender panels, now being made by John Abend. These fit 66-70 RWD

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville