News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 Cadillac deVille convertible (One family owned)

Started by 67CADLAK, March 09, 2022, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67CADLAK

I have been the owner of my Dad's 1967 Cadillac deVille convertible since I was 12 years old in 1976.  My Dad bought the car brand new in Sept. 1967 for about $5700 and he drove it until around early 1970's when he got a 1972 Cadillac Brougham.  He owned an auto body shop (family still in operation) since the late 1950's.  He parked the 67  in a corner and left it there until I asked him what he intended to do with it.  He said he was going to junk it.  I told him "no" , that I wanted it.  When I was in HS , I learned how to auto body work and started to restore it back to drivability.  I am 57 and still keep and maintain the car to the best of my ability.  In a few weeks , it will be sent out to have the engine rebuilt.  Coming up on 200,000 miles.  Engine was last rebuilt 70k miles and 35 years ago.  The transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago and it got a new paint job, interior and convertible top.  The car is a "driver" and some things I regret doing back in my teens. (Cut the dash for a Benzi-box stereo).  Just retired from 29 years of law enforcement and will be spending much of my time on my cars.  I also have a 2014 Dodge Challenger RT that I made into a 1971 Barracuda with modern equipment.  I am now waiting to see if I will be lucky enough to add a 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing to the stable.  Been waiting 4 months without a confirmation, so far.  Today I ordered the correct engine paint from researching this forum.  I hope to get more educated and find people/places to start restoration on rubber and other parts that need replacing.  Looking forward to engaging with other members and Cadillac enthusiasts of this site.

James Landi

Richard,

That's a truly elegant '67 deVille, and I'm so glad you were and are  determined to keep your family's car alive and running. While these cars were well designed and durable, they did gradually rust, and mechanical parts would serially fail, so that, as you well know, it becomes increasingly hard to justify spending money on a car that would normally have been junked years ago (as your dad suggested).  But there is something deeply compelling about keeping a family's prized possession going, and it's  admirable  of you to do so as a way of keeping your dad's spirit traveling with you all these many years and, with your enduring efforts, well into the future. (You might like the New York TIme's article  (published a couple of years ago) about The Soprano's James Gandolfini's "Most Prized Possession"  --- it was a white '68 Cadillac convertible that he drove most every day ...       Thanks for posting, James

Lexi

Welcome aboard. You have come to the right place. Ditto James comments. A nice story and a wonderful car. Keep plugging away. Clay/Lexi

signart

Very nice heirloom to keep the old memories and make more while enjoying it. Thanks for sharing your Cadillac story.
Art D. Woody

Big Fins

I must congratulate you on surviving 29 years as a LEO in today's world. That alone is an accomplishment.

Sweet '67 too!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Highwayman68

Always glad to see someone trying to keep their car original. I will try to provide any help I can in your journey.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

67CADLAK

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on March 10, 2022, 09:19:19 AM
Welcome!  Thats a really nice 67!
I just bought a new 2022 Kia Telluride in October. In February, my wife and I drove it from Long Island ,NY all the way to Chandler,AZ (stayed in a Marriott) to visit my cousin who lived in Gilbert and now Mesa.  I was glad to find "Sal's Pizzeria" in Gilbert for dinner.  Authentic NY food !  We then all drove to Las Vegas for Super Bowl weekend .  I then drove to San Diego and back to NY.  I would have loved to have been able to take my Caddy.  I saw some nice cars in Arizona and also visited the Confederate Air Museum.  Chandler is very high on my list of places to go back to and possibly buy a condo.  Glad I found this web site.

bcroe

Nice car, keeping the body OK has always been my problem.  Am surprised
you have rebuilt the engine twice, I run 70s engines past 300,000 miles. 
Guess instead of rebuilding, I would have dropped in a 76 500 engine that
would be very happy on todays unleaded.  With the HEI and electronic
alternator, which happened to my 62.  The TH400 will always be serviceable,
the switch pitch could be a hangup or a blessing.  good luck, Bruce Roe