News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1929 Cadillac 1183B DCP Ignition Issue

Started by jwhansford, May 19, 2022, 11:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhansford

As a recent CLC member I've recently purchased a '29 Cadillac 1183B DCP.  I'm doing a cosmetic restoration, as well as, a mechanical refresh, the car was restored some 40 years ago. I'm having a problem with the ignition.  After putting the key in it's not allowing me to turn it to the right.  When it turns it's suppose to pop out about a 1/2" and allow you to start the car. I believe the key(s) I have are the right ones, but no luck.  I've soaked the ignition key insert with WD40 a few times, it's helped but not enough to turn the key.   

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, John

harvey b

Have you tried jiggling the key while trying to turn it,or maybe try and pull it out a hair or two then try and rotate it?.My 37 is like that i have to insert the key then just pull it out a hair then it will turn,i just leave the key in the ignition all the time as it is a pain to get it just right.Have you actually used the key you have,will it only fit one way,my car uses the old style Briggs and Stratton type key,the same up to the 60's,it looks like a stop sign,an octagon shaped head on it.Good Luck  harveyb
Harvey Bowness

harry s

I recall that the early cars had a transmission lock that was tied into the ignition switch. I don' remember exactly how it worked but it could be problematic. If you have a shop or owner's manual check them for clarification. Hopefully someone with your vintage can chime in. Good luck,    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

jwhansford

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I've tried your suggestions and it still refuses to turn to the right.  I thought I might try a lock picking set to see if I can raise the pins and eventually have it be free enough to unlock.
The ignition does have a cable that goes to the transmission.

The other thought I've had is finding a locksmith that will work on and older ignition.

John

harvey b

Do you have a owners manual for your car,there is propably a secret to how to start,maybe put the car in 2nd gear and depress the clutch?.is the cable on the trannsmission move when you shift gears?.Cadillac was ahead of their time back then,possibly a theft deterrant thing they had.possibly you have to apply the handbrake too at the same time,im sure it is something simple. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Johan Boltendal #158

Hi , i can give you 24 pictures of the whole ign and lock set up, if you give me your email I ill we trans them to you. jboltendal@hotmail.com  you have a frozen lock , a broken lock, abroken pin to actuate the lock pin in he dash . Eithet of thes will be the cause, taking the lock cable out of the trans cover by removing the pin or small screw will free the trans to shift. Johan

jwhansford

Johan, thanks for your response.  My email is jwhansfordemail addresses not permitted, thanks for sending.
John

Johan Boltendal #158

Please send me an email direct my address is mentioned in the reply