News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Eldorado Ignition relay location?

Started by billmorrow, May 25, 2022, 02:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmorrow

Hello..
The power windows, all of them, just decided to stop working on my 1970 99k mile eldorado..
the car is all original and a solid 4+
i have jumpered the window switch in the driver door and the windows will then work..
the manual says to next check the ignition relay that supplies power to the windows when the ignition is switched ON
it also suggests that the relay is located left of the steering column behind the left side trim panel..
there is no relay there or any place else that is related to the windows..
i have traced the wires (r/w) from the door wiring harness to the main body harness connector and from there they go under the frong carpet toward the right side of the car..
NO RELAY is anyplace to be found..
if ANYONE has ANY thoughts or ideas as to where this unicorn of a relay might be found, PLEASE please tell me or show me with a picture..
thank you
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~

klinebau

In the RWD vehicles, the relay is in the kick panel behind the harness connectors.  There is a three-pin connector to the relay with orange/black, red/white, and pink wires.  I suppose the FWD vehicles could be different.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

billmorrow

Quote from: klinebau on May 25, 2022, 01:04:27 PM
In the RWD vehicles, the relay is in the kick panel behind the harness connectors.  There is a three-pin connector to the relay with orange/black, red/white, and pink wires.  I suppose the FWD vehicles could be different.
thank you for your reply.. :-)
"kick panel" ? is this the same as the left side trim panel between the emergency/parking brake pedal and the sheet metal where the door harness comes though..?
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG

~~~Mark Twain~~

klinebau

Detroit, MI

billmorrow

thank you..
no relays there or anyplace EXCEPT the horn relay/annoying buzzer just forward of the steering column..
i have pix but do not see a way to attach the same..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG

~~~Mark Twain~~

klinebau

There should be a red/white wire coming in from left door that connects to a harness with 6 connectors (3 x 2 with one slot empty).  Follow the red/white wire from that connector to the relay.  I attached the relevant circuit diagram.
Detroit, MI

billmorrow

hello and thanks for the reply..
i have that same circuit diagram..
i HAVE tried following the red/white.. it runs from the door harness to body harness plug to under the front carpet and disappears someplace toward the passenger side..
today i proved the door harness by disconnecting that plug and jumpering from the battery to the red/white in the door harness.. result, windows work fine..
i am beginning to think there is no ignition relay..
i have searched the area the manual SAYS it is located in and all i can find is the horn relay..
i search parts web sites and there is no mention of an ignition relay..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG

~~~Mark Twain~~

klinebau

There is definitely an ignition relay (sometimes it is called a window relay).  For the RWD cars, the ignition relay is located in the left kick panel area mounted to the  the sheet metal behind the three connectors.  The FWD vehicles must be different.  If you see the red/white wire going to passenger side, then I would find where it emerges in the right side kick panel.  I still think that will lead you to the relay.

I just checked the Fisher body manual and it clearly shows the location of the relay for the RWD cars in the body wiring routing diagram.  It does not show the location for the Eldorado, however.  That is strange.
Detroit, MI

klinebau

Even though this thread is for a 67 Eldo, it might indicate that the relay is located further up in the cowl.  Take a look at reply #10.

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=135758.0

Detroit, MI

billmorrow

Quote from: klinebau on May 27, 2022, 11:58:37 AM
Even though this thread is for a 67 Eldo, it might indicate that the relay is located further up in the cowl.  Take a look at reply #10.

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=135758.0
i went looking for that relay again, today, sunday, on the right side where the wiring points and nothing found but dust..
looking at the wiring plan again i see the ign relay wiring might be close to the door open "buttons" so i'll try to follow that monday..
if no joy i will just wire around the relay which will mean that the power windows will work all the time and no i won't wire in a parallel but working relay..
power windows that work all the time are good.. my '59 convertible windows work all the time.. so why not the '70 eldorado..?!
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG

~~~Mark Twain~~

The Tassie Devil(le)

Is it also the Horn Relay?

Because I know where that is in my '72 Eldorado.   It is also the ignition Key Buzzer if that helps.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

According to the diagram provided, relay is fed from 3 wires, orange& black, pink and white, and purple.  Diagram didn't go far enough to show origination point.  So those are the ones you need to find and "back" trace to the relay.   
I've mentioned before, the "old" style like the '59, was the window contacts were full amperage and they often failed due to corrosion/sparking, so they went to relays to take the amperage off the open contacts of the switches.   

billmorrow

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on May 30, 2022, 03:58:57 AM
Is it also the Horn Relay?

Because I know where that is in my '72 Eldorado.   It is also the ignition Key Buzzer if that helps.

Bruce. >:D
thanks but not the horn relay.. :-(
though i DID wonder why i never saw that horn relay there in front of the brake pedal while tearing hair looking for the ign relay.. i MIGHT just defeat that damn buzzer, though, now knowing where it is hiding..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG

~~~Mark Twain~~

billmorrow

Quote from: fishnjim on May 30, 2022, 10:05:59 AM
According to the diagram provided, relay is fed from 3 wires, orange& black, pink and white, and purple.  Diagram didn't go far enough to show origination point.  So those are the ones you need to find and "back" trace to the relay.   
I've mentioned before, the "old" style like the '59, was the window contacts were full amperage and they often failed due to corrosion/sparking, so they went to relays to take the amperage off the open contacts of the switches.
thanks for the thought.. can't find those colors anyplace outside a thick bundle of wires..
the window buttons on my '59 work just fine though the top up and down button might benefit from a relay.. since i replaced the hydraulic pump and top cylinders the top moves more slowly and might be drawing more amperage.. the new top is so tight i must max out the pressure so as to be able to lock it when UP..
will try to find it one last time by following the wires from the 2, side by side, door open buttons which the wiring diagram tends to indicate MAY be in the same bundle..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG

~~~Mark Twain~~