News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 CdV $7,500 Not Mine Project

Started by Bryan J Moran, October 03, 2022, 04:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1206790500111263/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A4ef89bf3-5033-4b66-a0cb-10cde75b8865

Seller's Description
1956. Cadillac. Coupe. Deville.  Really solid Cadillac. Motor is loose and ran when parked. The carb is stuck and naturally needs rebuilt.  Been setting a long time under cover   Please call or message me if interested. I have a lot of pictures and can tell you all about it.  The price is 7500$   
CLC 35000 in number only

James Landi

Such an interesting example for sale.  Seller says he has the "story."  CLearly, someone used it over many decades and struggled to maintain it-- (paint is literally worn off, yet 86k miles), and then the car gets stored---begs the question, "Why?" ... Alas, though, it apparently needs everything (but it has a storied history)  THanks for positing,  James

Jw4

Apparently, people have greatly variable opinions about what "Really solid" means. Looking at the pictures, unless this car has a special collector's value, etc., it is in rather poor condition.  :(
Ivan Beliaev

Bryan J Moran

Ivan -
Agree.  The current seller's take cues from what they have seen in ads in the past 35 years. Example" Barn Find appears in many ads, when there are fewer and fewer barns LOL!

I don't peruse ads much anymore since I am no longer in the hobby BUT I have looked recently and I am amazed. Sellers are asking $4,000 for the former $500 car.  Total junk is $6,000 - I don't know where they come up with some of these prices.   They aren't selling. 

Saw a 1976 Eldorado convertible with 70,000 miles on it (OK) listed for $11,000.  But a scrap through the passenger door into the rear quarter panel and described as needing "TLC".  Ha, TLC is another stupid term that means absolutely nothing.  But has been in ads for the last 30 + years when it became part of the lexicon of the English language. 

But I posted because the car has some promise as a project vehicle.  The issue is price. Typically a serious buyer - even in these inflationary and speculation times - can get a 2 + driver 1956 CdV for $20,000 to $24,000.  Am I wrong? 

I get the argument that restoration is a worthwhile hobby and some people choose that hobby. If this car were FREE, it would still cost $100,000 to restore. The seller deserves something for keeping it.  That something is ?? $3,000.  Just one person's opinion.  And because that's a lot less than the asking price, people just move along. 
CLC 35000 in number only