News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1980 Eldorado $9,500

Started by Bryan J Moran, December 05, 2022, 09:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/549019347048112/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A87d5b405-ca80-4ec2-9c16-a64719b8b9ac

Not Mine - Not a Dealer offered car

Seller's Description
1980 Cadillac Eldorado, fuel injected 6.0 Cadillac motor. New tires, battery, brakes, fluids, headliner, new custom stainless steel dual exhaust. 47000 original miles. Additional photos and videos upon request
CLC 35000 in number only

Bryan J Moran

1st, I love this color, and with the relatively low mileage and all that the seller seems to have done, the asking price is in the "ballpark."  Of course, I often miss details that some of the more knowledgeable members point out.

While the faux wire wheel covers look nice on this one, I am simply not a fan of faux wire wheels even if factory offered.  I'll take the base hubcaps or the aluminum wheels I believe I have seen on 1979 Eldorados.  If purchased, that would be the 1st thing I look for.
CLC 35000 in number only

benji808

Nice car, and I appreciate the thoroughness of the pictures!

79 Eldorado

That car seems to be in very good shape. Even the front differential cover is nicely painted as is the lower side of the front frame. It's interesting that on something so stock looking they skipped the resonator and didn't cut the exhaust pipe parallel to the ground.

My feeling is 1979 through 1981 are the most desirable years due to drive train.

One thing I see missing, assuming it still existed in 1980, is the front closeout panel which tucks behind the sway bar and closes the area between the radiator and the engine bay.

Those 1979 Aluminum rims are a Biarritz option only.

Scott

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on December 05, 2022, 04:19:28 PMThose 1979 Aluminum rims are a Biarritz option only.

Scott

Thanks Scott.  I found a 1979 Biarritz with those wheels but the seller wants to sell the whole car. It has a nice interior in bright red, bright red paint, nice car but has Wisconsin rust started. 
CLC 35000 in number only

79 Eldorado

Bryan,
Those 1979 rims are really difficult to find. The prior owner of my Biarritz seemed to like parking very close to curbs. My wheels are off and at a shop for restoring now because I couldn't find anything available.

A member had posted a question trying to identify a set which, to me, looked identical to the 1979 rim but another member wrote, by the casting number, they were a later year. If I recall correctly the difference was the diameter which the center cap snaps into. The 84-85 Eldorado TC's had an Aluminum rim so possibly it was that slightly different diameter center version.

If you like that particular car I wouldn't let the rims stop me from buying it. The correct factory wheel for 1980 should have been a steel rim and spoke wheel cover. One other bit of information is the 4th generation F-Body, despite being RWD, had wheels which are compatible with these 79-85 E-Body cars. I don't know that there is anything which I would find appealing or similar to the factory Cadillac wheels but sometimes it helps to know a more recent and likely more aftermarket-popular application.

Scott

Bryan J Moran

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1142208926503891

Scott - These are the aluminum cast wheels I am looking for correct?  Or am I incorrect, these are just wheel covers? 

Not a dealer ad. 

I have communicated with this seller and told her the asking price is not IMO realistic. She stated that someone asked to store this car in her barn and then could not pay a modest space rental so sold her the car for past space usage and she has $4,000 in it. 

Look at that interior!  And it's a Biarritz, but then one sees that nasty rust spot and enthusiasm quickly wanes.
CLC 35000 in number only

79 Eldorado

Bryan,
Yes those are the correct rims. Judging by the under hood it looks like that car was stored in an area with a moisture source underneath. I agree the price seems too high for that specific car due to the corrosion. That rust spot at the back of the left rear is a common place for rust based on my first Toronado. If that area is bad though there are very likely other areas. The frame behind the rear shock is another place to pay attention to. Unfortunately that 1979 doesn't seem to be in nearly as nice shape as the 1980 you found.

Back to the rims they're a cast Aluminum rim with a stainless center cap.

Scott

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on December 06, 2022, 07:30:40 PMBryan,
Yes those are the correct rims. Judging by the under hood it looks like that car was stored in an area with a moisture source underneath. I agree the price seems too high for that specific car due to the corrosion. That rust spot at the back of the left rear is a common place for rust based on my first Toronado. If that area is bad though there are very likely other areas. The frame behind the rear shock is another place to pay attention to. Unfortunately that 1979 doesn't seem to be in nearly as nice shape as the 1980 you found.

Back to the rims they're a cast Aluminum rim with a stainless center cap.

Scott

The bright red Biarritz was stored in that barn you see behind it for 20 years.  I believe this is in Wisconsin.  20 years of heat, humidity, frigid cold, in cycles.  Looking at that car, it could have 30,000 original miles, just poor storage. 
CLC 35000 in number only

79 Eldorado

The car looks complete. The interior looks very nice. I agree it looks like a victim of storage conditions. I don't know how bad it is but if the engine compartment is a preview of the under body, as I guess it is, I would walk away. I would be curious to see it on a lift.

It would certainly be possible to restore the under hood. I'm more concerned about the condition it tells us the rest of the car is in.

Scott