News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955. What is this hanging down from transmission area

Started by Lhoppercad, December 13, 2022, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lhoppercad

Sorry, but have no access to a lift, nor ability to crawl under.  I am also attaching a photo of a smaller but similar cable/eye at the firewall; it looks to be connected to the body and back of the block.  THANKS!

Lhoppercad

Thought I had attached 2 photos.  I assume thye are being reviewed?  If not and I did something wrong, please advise.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

After you bring the picture into your posting, hit the upload key....that should get us to see the pictures...

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Lhoppercad

Hopefully the photos will come through now.

Cadillac Jack 82

Thats a ground strap.  I believe that should attach to the engine where the transmission housing meets the engine.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Lhoppercad

Is it being disconnected in any way related to battery / starting issues in the post following this one?  Of course I know it needs to be connected which I will get to soon, but what would be the issues one could expect with it being disconnected?  Wouldn't affect the transmission, would it?  Thanks!

35-709

"... what would be the issues one could expect with it being disconnected?"

The issues you are experiencing now can be expected with that ground being disconnected.  I am surprised you get power to the starter, etc. at all.  A smaller, additional ground cable must be carrying the load, not a good thing.  Should not affect the transmission.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Lhoppercad

Thanks. Figures.  Surprised my mechanic missed that?!?!

Lhoppercad

Thanks to all again, but one last question.  I will likely just get my regular mechanic to reconnect the ground.  I looked in my shop manual but did not see the ground wire anywhere.  Is it going to be difficult for him to know where it connects, or is there a photo that I am missing?

35-709

I believe "55 CDV Fan 82" has the location right, any of the transmission to engine mounting bolts that are within reach should be fine.  For a mechanic, hooking up that ground cable, and where, should be a no-brainer.  Very surprised too that your mechanic missed that --- wonder if the bolt attaching it wasn't tightened properly and backed out.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

V63

The ground strap should go closest the starter as possible.

Lexi

If it is like the '56 Caddy, this is a braided battery ground strap that fits at 2 locations: 1) at the starter and 2) in between the starter and the battery on the top side of the main frame rail, passenger side. The photo shows what looks like the main connector at the starter, due to the mounting hole located at the end of the strap. The portion that bolts to the frame is a mounting hole in the center of the negative braided cable strap, so a 2 point grounded cable. If the cable is indeed currently mounted at the starter and is OK, then this dangling cable might be an add on from somewhere midway along the cable to re-attach it elsewhere, if the threaded hole stripped. Hard to tell from the photo. But this "midway" hole uses a large bolt to torque it down into a threaded portion of the frame rail. A tough spot to reach, (you need a stubby wrench). If the bolt can no longer be torqued as the threads are gone, someone may have jerry rigged something to fix. Was done on my car until I fixed it.

Also, recently I and others had input into a thread here on this Forum where the lettering on the top of the oil filter canister for 1954 was discussed. I wondered what the '55 looked like, (know what the '56 is). Your faint but legible writing tells me that if original to your car, is the same for '54. Another Caddy mystery solved. Clay/Lexi

Lhoppercad

Thanks to all.  These and the other comments at my battery post have solved the problem.

walt chomosh #23510

Lexi,
  Lex,
  Am I to understand that the factory ground at the battery terminal post goes to a starter ground then on to the frame rail?....(I ran "starter" ground straight to the frame rail,alone) plus the battery ground to the another ground at my frame rail).....as with the gentleman who's batteries don't give him mush service life,well, mine also fail premature. (and I run an internal regulated alternator!) I also keep the battery "on charge" with a quality battery maintainer.....just wondering in Tulsa....walt

J. Gomez

Quote from: walt chomosh #23510 on December 26, 2022, 04:05:49 PMLexi,
  Lex,
  Am I to understand that the factory ground at the battery terminal post goes to a starter ground then on to the frame rail?....(I ran "starter" ground straight to the frame rail,alone) plus the battery ground to the another ground at my frame rail).....as with the gentleman who's batteries don't give him mush service life,well, mine also fail premature. (and I run an internal regulated alternator!) I also keep the battery "on charge" with a quality battery maintainer.....just wondering in Tulsa....walt

Walt,

On the 1956 ( and I would assumed same on the '55) is the other way around, the copper braided ground wire is 1-bolted on the frame rail (top side) and then 2- to one of the starter bolts. The braided cable on the '56 is 27" long and the same cable on the '54-'55 is 25".

The cable mounting area on the frame rail is about the size of the rail width and that is the only source of ground for the rest of the car (outside from the engine and transmission), grinding off the paint/debris from it before mounting the cable and possible adding a second strap onto a second mounting area over to the engine/transmission is the way to go.

Although you do not want to go over-board with adding more ground straps as you can run into a ground voltage drops differential.   ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

Quote from: J. Gomez on December 26, 2022, 05:12:05 PMWalt,

On the 1956 ( and I would assumed same on the '55) is the other way around, the copper braided ground wire is 1-bolted on the frame rail (top side) and then 2- to one of the starter bolts. The braided cable on the '56 is 27" long and the same cable on the '54-'55 is 25".

Yep. Jose and I are on the same page. Clay/Lexi

David King (kz78hy)

Here is a photo of my '55.  New cable from McVey's with the hole in the cable.IMG_4104.jpg
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

I appreciate the quality of the picture as well as the work on the car!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Caddy Wizard

David King, that is a nice picture of your engine/transmission area.  Especially nice to see the flexible exhaust down pipe from the back of the manifold.  Of course, that is quite correct, but often overlooked in restorations.  The simple thing to do is to use a solid pipe there.  But your flex pipe is factory-correct...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)