News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The Ark back into the shop(s) tomorrow

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 07, 2022, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Trust me folks, I don't want to use tower clamps, I know they're crap. But when you're spending 5 figures to make a car competitive for a National event, you're compelled. And they'll be off as soon as we get home from PA, LED lighting installed all around, and The Ark will be a 100% out in the sun/rain/snow/ice daily driver. It would be nice to see the judging standards lowered for *Touring* to allow the safer worm clamps without penalty, like radial tires. My car is the definition of "touring class", its a driver, everywhere. Not a trailer queen with some 'signs of wear'. Lynn love your work around but - worm clamps 'can' loosen. Now you have to loosen the tower clamp, remove the electrical tape, tighten the clamp, then re-wrap everything?
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 2011DTS on January 30, 2023, 08:21:06 PMLaurie, Here is what we do down our way to work around the Tower Clamp issue. Have Michael loosen all the Tower Clamps and slid them down the radiator/heater hoses, install Worm Clams, tighten the Worm Clamps, then wrap the Worm Clams with black electric tape, then slide the loose Tower Clamp over the elecric tape that is hiding the Worm Clamp and tighten it just enought to stay in place. This is a work around to prevent you from loosing a point for each incorrect clamp during Grand National Judging. This has worked for all of us who drive our 1970's Cadillacs to the Grand Nationals and do not want to take a chance that the Tower Clamp will fail and I do not know of anyone who has lost authenticity points using this method to hide the Worm Clamps. Necessity is the mother of invention..... :)  :)  :)

Lynn I ran that by a Caddy judge. And he laughed and laughed and laughed...
But I agree, the clamp IS THERE. WTF?
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all