News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Dash Pad Removal

Started by Allard62, February 14, 2023, 07:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allard62

Hello All-------newbie to this site.
I have a '59 Coupe Deville. The dash lights do not illuminate.
I've adjusted the H/L rheostat to no avail.
Headlights, Park Lights and Fog lights all work great.
Fuse checks out to be good.
I have a '59 Service manual FROM 1959 (My Dad owned a '59 years ago) and the manual leaves me with a few questions please:

1: Does the H/L Switch come out WITHOUT dash pad removal? I'm not clear on where the push-pin is for the release.
2: I am unclear which connectors must be disconnected to lift the dash pad up for access to the cluster bulbs.
3: I saw a photo recently of a beautifully illuminated '59 dash with LED's. I assume they were white or clear to produce the right look----does anyone know for sure?
4: By Using LED's, will everything work as usual or do I need to add anything into the electrical system?
   I ask, because I fit red LEDs in the T/L sockets and they are incredible but do not "blink" with the turn
   signal on

Incidentally, for those with interest, my '59 was just featured in a country music video by Deborah Allen with lots of great shots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kLiOIeEVBY

I've only found 2 videos online, so anyone who can offer any advice will be greatly appreciated as I explore this repair effort.
Chris in Franklin, TN
Allard62@aol.com
1959 Cadillac
1957 Pontiac
1922 Paige
1928 Phaeton
2013 XT4

V63

I believe you can get the light switch out
Without loosening the dash. That said it is pretty easy to loosen the dash and pull it forward a few inches. I think it's worth that latter effort. The spring loaded push pin removes the knob and stem. Push the button and pull the knob until it pulls all the way out. It is behind the dash portion of the switch. The manual should show an image.

Typically the issue with dash lights is a corroded interference connection in the switch assembly, especially in humid climates.

I put LED in a 60 and they illuminate beautifully, much improved read with them. My LED version bulbs would not 'dim' , it was all or nothing. I heard there are versions that dim. Maybe next time for me.
Also you can get a yellowish illumination (more authentic look) LED that does not look too bright white if you prefer. 

The LED turn lights will not work with original (thermal) flasher ...you will need a compatible electronic flasher.

Michael Petti

You can loosen the screws, pull out the dash and raise it up about 4 inches. I stuck a piece of a 2x4 between the pad and the metal dash to hold it up while I worked. I did it on my 60 which is basically the same. I found sites on the internet that told what each post was for. A word of caution. If you disassemble the switch, do it in a large clear plastic sandwich bag. There are small springs in there that will fly out and get lost.
The rheostat could be faulty too. That was my problem.

Daryl Chesterman

Here is a very good YouTube video on rebuilding the headlight switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZplrrkG27jo

Daryl Chesterman

Allard62

That's the video I saw about how to rebuild the switch (thanks). Does anyone offer a rebuilt switch for sale? (Caddy Daddy etc.)?

My dash pad is split so I can't really hurt it------I'm more concerned about WHICH connectors to disconnect since I can't see them easily with the AC ductwork since mine is an AC car etc.
I do have the manual and will review. Maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow and video the process I went thru........
Thanks everyone.

1959 Cadillac
1957 Pontiac
1922 Paige
1928 Phaeton
2013 XT4

V63

If you don't mind the dash lights full ON (no dimming) you can just jump a wire from dash light to tail lights at the terminal connections and call it done. ✅🥳

Daryl Chesterman

Since you have A/C,  you will need to lift the dash to access the switch.  The Service manual has some really bad instructions on how to lift the dash for removal.  It says to drop down the steering column, which is wrong! The first thing to do is disconnect the battery! You will need to disconnect the trip odometer zeroing cable from the knee bolster—on the right side of the steering column, remove the cover from the underside of the steering column by using a 1/4" 8 point socket so as to access the gear shift indicator pointer (it will get bent if you try to lift the dashpad without removing it) for removal.  Note how you remove the pointer for easier installation!  You must remove the 6 Phillip head screws from the underside of the dash.  Once all of this has been accomplished, gently try to raise the dash to see if there is anything more keeping it from being raised.  Have something ready to put in place to hold it up—as one person said, a 2 x 4 or a rubber mallet.  Once it is held up you will have access to the wiring connector on the headlight switch and the button on the switch that releases the switch stem.  I am attaching a picture of what this button looks like from a Chevy switch.  Then you can remove the nut that retains the switch to the dash. 

There are "will fit" switches on Ebay, but with the aid of the video posted above, you can rebuild yours and keep it original—unless you don't care about originality.

Daryl Chesterman

Michael Petti

To simplify the job of removal and replacement, buy a tool made specially to fit the bezel on the switch. I think I got mine from OPGI some time ago. They also make on for the radio antenna, radio knobs and ignition switch. They were not expensive, so I got all 4.

Allard62

Daryl, Thank you! Great info. Thanks to all. Michael I'm not sure what that tool is or does? Not clear on that (sorry). Thanks again. I'll probably document this a bit since there seems to be so little good details on this.
1959 Cadillac
1957 Pontiac
1922 Paige
1928 Phaeton
2013 XT4

David Greenburg

Daryl mentions it, and it is mentioned in the manual, but I'll mention it again because it is easy to overlook- don't forget to remove the shift indicator pointer! Getting very hard to find replacements because lots of folks have bent or broken them over the years.  As for the switch, McVeys rebuilt mine a few years ago; it's worked fine since.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Michael Petti

I looked and the set I bought does not seem to be available. You can find generic bezel tools on the internet. Don't know how good they are. If using a bent tip needle nose pilers I suggest you put duct tape on the actual bezel to prevent scratching.