News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

49 rear bumper

Started by K9sicem, February 05, 2023, 05:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9sicem

I have 1949 and it came with a rear bumper that was in the back seat.  I'm not sure how it mounts.  Can anyone send me a photo or two?  Are there brackets that go on the bumper and then to the Frame?  It looks like someone tried to add a homemade trailer hitch.

Joe Jensen

There is a bracket on both sides like the one in the attached picture.

If you need the brackets, another member named Joe might have these.

Good luck,
Joe

Caddy Wizard

I probably have an excellent pair of rear brackets...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Rossoroo

Here's an outward looking view
49-6269 My First Caddy

Barry M Wheeler #2189

While this has nothing to do with the thread, my "experience" with a 1949 rear bumper might be amusing.

I had stored at least one of my stable at a friend's rear lot next to their outbuilding. I was driving at the time a 1949 Fastback (I understand a Sedanette is a Buick...) and I had slowed to pull up into the driveway which was slightly elevated. When I had slowed, I'd noticed a car pulling away from the light two blocks away, so I figured that I had ample time to pull into the drive.

Wrong! In a screeching of metal, a white 1961 Buick came to a halt a quarter of a block past me. My rear bumper took out the front head lamp bezel and didn't stop until it reached the rear tail lamp bezel, messing up the complete RH side of the ladies car.

And it twisted my left bumper end up 90 degrees to the vertical. The gal was young and slightly pretty and convinced the officer that the reason she attempted to go around me on the right was that I had appeared to be changing lanes to the left. She neglected to mention how fast she must have been going to get two blocks covered that quickly.

It also turned out that both of us had expired licenses. I got mine renewed that same afternoon and when I appeared in court, the young lady was just before me. She hadn't bothered to renew hers yet and got a hefty fine.

I stepped up to the judge when it was my turn and he looked at my new license and said, "I see you got yours. Judgement withheld."

Somewhat confused I asked the bailiff what he meant. The guy said, "You're free to go."

I looked for some time for a replacement and finally found one. But, I found after I got it installed that both sides stuck out slightly. It was from a hearse.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jay Friedman

Similar rear bumper experience as Barry.  A junkyard once offered me a rear bumper for my 49 club coupe at a good price.  I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped directly to a chrome shop.  It eventually arrived and along with a friend I started to mount it.  Something didn't look right about it, including that it was wider than my previous bumper and didn't have a place for the license plate light.  I finally realized it was for a hearse.  Luckily a CLCer with a '49 hearse bought it from me. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

K9sicem

I would interested in buying a pair.

K9sicem

Caddy Wizard please contact me about buying your rear bumper brackets.