News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Oil pan leak 1966

Started by Lol Hare, February 15, 2023, 10:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lol Hare

I have a leak on my 66 from the front looking up from underneath jast behind the crossmember I assume from the oil pan, what's involved in changing the gasket as I've heard different things from the shop manual like engine in or engine out

The car was at a shop for 6 months and had a new timing cover but I'm thinking it's s a coincidence, thanks in advance

TJ Hopland

This must be on a 66? Did they have the pan off with the timing cover job? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Wash the area (frame and engine)thoroughly. Then drive a few miles and see where the oil is coming from. Might just be residual oil from the repair
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Lol Hare

Sorry its a 1966,the seal wasn't done with the timing cover

Lol Hare

Quote from: TJ Hopland on February 15, 2023, 01:36:59 PMThis must be on a 66? Did they have the pan off with the timing cover job? 
Unfortunately no, it was outside on the ground and the guy who did it didnt mention it, I never gave it a thought either

cadillactim

Just disconnect part of the steering linkage to swing it out of the way. Then you can remove the oil pan pretty easily.

Tim
Tim Groves

Lol Hare

Quote from: cadillactim on February 16, 2023, 08:53:45 AMJust disconnect part of the steering linkage to swing it out of the way. Then you can remove the oil pan pretty easily.

Tim
is that all? I've e been told to remove the exhaust and loosen an engine mount

cadillactim

It's been several years since I removed mine (1967 DeVille), so I may have had to disconnect the y-pipe from the manifolds, and perhaps loosen a motor mount, but it wasn't that difficult. Obviously the starter has to come off.

Tim
Tim Groves

scotth3886

It's easy peasy.  As Tim said, drop the steering linkage and then you're good to go at it.  I did the oil pan gasket when I replaced all of the rest of the gaskets and then had to back in again a few months later to do the rear main seal.  Rear main probably took no more than an hour. 

Lol Hare

Quote from: cadillactim on February 17, 2023, 05:54:39 PMIt's been several years since I removed mine (1967 DeVille), so I may have had to disconnect the y-pipe from the manifolds, and perhaps loosen a motor mount, but it wasn't that difficult. Obviously the starter has to come off.

Tim
Thanks, that's exactly how it went, unfortunately I now have a leak from the top of the steering box seal where the steering goes into it, I can only assume it was tweaked from trying to remove the pitman arm joint that was stubborn and struck by a splitter/ hammer? 😔
Can you post pics on here?

Chopper1942

Before you pull the pan off, go to a GM dealer and get a bottle of dye.  Put the dye in the oil fill and drive the vehicle and put some miles on it.  Use a black light and you will see if and where the oil is comming from.