News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 coolant

Started by Nickl, February 19, 2023, 02:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickl

Hey!
What's the best coolant for my 54 coupe with the original engine?
Always read only the "green stuff." I'm located in Germany and we have more than 30 degrees Celsius here in summer...
So what should I use un your opinion?
 Thank you
1954 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Lexi

For OEM: The "Green Stuff", in my opinion. Best to buy full strength then cut by mixing with deionized water, or distilled water as a second choice, (only if deionized water not available). Mixing proportions vary depending on the lowest possible extreme temperature that your car may potentially be exposed to. That said, you also want this anti-freeze in your cooling system to mitigate against rust and corrosion, (and lube your water pump). As it also raises the boiling point of the coolant it offers more protection in hot weather. A higher boiling point means that it will remain more efficient than pure water to carry off the heat, and not be as quick to have gaseous bubbles form which can impair cooling efficiency. I think a lot of the new different coloured coolants are designed to work with new cars and their materials which cool more efficiently with other coolant blends. Best to change and flush out every 2 years or so. Clay/Lexi

fishnjim

The coolants are color coded as to type.   The green stuff is IAT or inorganic additive and what is recommended for older vehicles as they don't have aluminum parts in the cooling system.  "I" is a silicate based inhibitor. 
It should last much longer than 2 years but inspected or tested annually.  There are test kits.  The hoses are what can be an issue, and must be changed as well, usually every other coolant change or 5-10 years.  These are lower pressure systems so won't achieve the temps that the modern cars can. Make sure you get all the air out before firing it back up.  Air pockets can cause boil over.
You mix according to the temp range for your area, there's a chart usually on the jug.  But for most 50:50 is best and sold pre-mixed but is usually more expensive. 
I'd also flush out the system before putting in fresh.  They make cleaners for that also.  Don't use anything :household" recommended over the internet

walt chomosh #23510

Hi guys!
  Speaking of cooling systems flushing is something many of us neglect. It's been years since I flushed my 1955CDV,maybe even 20plus! (I do keep a log book and admit I haven't reviewed it,just "feel" it's been a while) Wondered what the "preferred" brand of flush might be now days? Generally, I rely on the NAPA guys for advice but since the subject came up here any input would be reviewed and appreciated....walt...tulsa,ok

Chopper1942

Time is not the best indicator if the glycol coolant has gone bad.  Take a good multi meter like a Fluke 83-87 and put it on DC volts. Touch one lead to the radiator tank and place the other lead in the coolant in the radiator.  If it reads over 0.5V, you have electrolysis happening and it will eat up the radiator, heater core, and any aluminum parts in the engine.  I usually change mine when it gets around 0.3V.

Lexi

Great tip. Must remember that one. Clay/Lexi

Julien Abrahams

I would look for the G11 (which is usually blue) coolant. The blue coolant is fine for older engines/cooling systems (anythihng before 1996). Perhapse in the US they use a different color than here in Europe.
That is also what I use in all my cars and have not had any problems.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett