News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Horn Button contact

Started by 49 Caddy, February 20, 2023, 04:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

Can someone please explain the procedure used to disconnect and re-connect the wire & contactor from the steering column shaft.  My contactor is damaged and the insulator is missing.  Thanks in advance for responses.

Rossoroo

If you are talking about the connection under the access plate/Connection near the the bottom of the steering column you'll have to get your hands on a fairly powerful Soldering Iron. I have mine from my years at the phone company. It's a 100 watts and as I recall it took a bit of time to get the commutator ring to soak up enough heat to melt the solder. You may get lucky with a butane type iron but they don't throw as much heat.
49-6269 My First Caddy

49 Caddy

I was referring to the small button under the horn button, but I guess where you are referring is on the other end.  So I get the one end loose and pull it up thru  the top?  How hard is it to fish the new wire down after repair?

Jay Friedman

I've never done this myself, but I suggest you attach a thin metal wire to the old electrical wire when you pull it out and leave it in place with both ends, top and bottom, sticking out.  Then use the metal wire to pull in the repaired wire. 

Rossoroo, what do you think?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."