News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wire Wheels

Started by 49 Caddy, February 23, 2023, 11:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

Anybody else done a front disc brake conversion to a 1949 Caddy and tried to put wire wheels on the front?  I converted mine and nobody seems to be able to help me with ordering the correct ones.  Originals wheels do not fit on the front anymore.  Caliper hits.  I do know that 80's Chevrolet truck wheels fit.  Again,  wheel companies only tell me that their wheels have a 3.75" backspace, rims are 15"x6", and that they have 5 lugs.  At a loss here.  Responses welcome. 

hornetball

Have you tried spacers?

35-709

Have you talked to Wheelsmith in Corona, CA?      http://thewheelsmith.net/
I have a set of their wires on my '35, they can offer a range of backspacing.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

62 driver

Quote from: 49 Caddy on February 23, 2023, 11:13:23 AMAnybody else done a front disc brake conversion to a 1949 Caddy and tried to put wire wheels on the front?  I converted mine and nobody seems to be able to help me with ordering the correct ones.  Originals wheels do not fit on the front anymore.  Caliper hits.  I do know that 80's Chevrolet truck wheels fit.  Again,  wheel companies only tell me that their wheels have a 3.75" backspace, rims are 15"x6", and that they have 5 lugs.  At a loss here.  Responses welcome. 

I used ABS brake disk kit on my 1962 that is running 1954 KH wires. I used wheel spacers and ground the high parts of the calipers. Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889