News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Restoring original paint

Started by Cadillac1967inthenorth, February 26, 2023, 09:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac1967inthenorth

I prefer cars with original paint insted of a repainted cars, but It´s also nice with a shine paint.

My 1967 deville has its original paint. The paint is in quite nice condition but it has oxidation and it´s not shiny.

I read Mike Philips excellent article on restoring old single stage paint. Then I got myself a bottle of Meguiar's Show car glaze #7 and tried it on a fenderskirt from my 1967 deville. The result is amazing! The paint is now fat and shiny, but still need more work. As you can see, touch up paint is used on some spots. In general, the paint looks better IRL than on my pic.

I probably try Meguiar's M80 speed glaze that contains diminishing abrasives to remove some imperfections and get a deeper shine. After that probably some wax to seal the paint.

Here´s a close up of the paint. The paint has visible orange peel and compared to my 1968 Buick Electra its quite a difference. My Buick has smoother paint.

Anybody here that tried the show car glaze #7?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I agree about maintaining originality wherever possible and Meguiar's No 7 is a staple in my reconditioning arsenal. However the skirt shown definitely had body work done at some point. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 26, 2023, 09:50:44 AMI agree about maintaining originality wherever possible and Meguiar's No 7 is a staple in my reconditioning arsenal. However the skirt shown definitely had body work done at some point. 

Yes! It has. But in general car is very clean. Its to Cold here to apply #7 on the car so i tried with the fenderskirt.

Roger Zimmermann

Interesting. I believe my '72 de Ville with mostly original paint will be a good candidate to try the #7!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David Greenburg

I am a big fan of #7.  The mostly original paint on my '61 is in pretty good shape, but #7 helps keep it that way.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: David Greenburg on February 26, 2023, 03:21:19 PMI am a big fan of #7.  The mostly original paint on my '61 is in pretty good shape, but #7 helps keep it that way.

Do you use wax or any other product to protect the laquer? #7 needs some kind of top layer.

Roger Zimmermann

Yesterday, I tried to buy a bottle #7. It seems that it's not available in Europe! I did not try to buy from a US retailer; it can be that the shipping is not possible. Anyway, I will try.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on February 27, 2023, 02:42:38 AMYesterday, I tried to buy a bottle #7. It seems that it's not available in Europe! I did not try to buy from a US retailer; it can be that the shipping is not possible. Anyway, I will try.

I used Jetcarrier to buy it from the US

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on February 27, 2023, 06:54:58 AMWhat is Jetcarrier?
Its a service for us in sweden and norway If we want to buy from the us, from selles that dont ship to europe
jetcarrier.com/

Jim Miller

I used #7 on my '41 once to clean and brighten the finish. It worked well. I then used plain wax with no cleaner in it in the spring and fall. The finish has stayed nice in spite of its age.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Cadillac1967inthenorth on February 27, 2023, 07:27:26 AMIts a service for us in sweden and norway If we want to buy from the us, from selles that dont ship to europe
jetcarrier.com/
Thanks! Nothing for me...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

Glazing is generally for after surface treatment, so just plopping some down to make it look shiny is covering the dirty pigs lips.   Glaze tends to not last in my experience and you're OK for that car show but will be redoing it before the next one.   Personally, I don't use glazes.  Not needed, if done right.
You get one maybe two chances to level out and buff old paint depending how thick is was applied.  That can only be told with a thickness detector/visual inspection.
I generally, start light abrasion like with a pre-wax cleaner/polish and go down in rubbing compound or wet sanding until I get to clean level paint and what can be tolerated.  {Not everything is recoverable.  I was able to closs up my '49 "P" original paint but most of the paint gone.  I just did spots to see what it would have looked like and some was re-paint.}    If it's not level it won't have the right gloss all over.
Once you're on clean level paint, you can do the top coats/waxes/glazes to your heart's content.  I started out rubbing cars by hand, close to 60 years ago, so it's a bit of an art.   Autogeek is a good source.  But modern stuff for modern paints mostly.
'67 should be acrylic lacquer, it's put down in layers.  Lacquers can be moved around a bit to cover fades, etc.  Another costlier option is clean it/spot it if needed, and have it clear coated to protect the original paint.  There's not much UV protection in the old formulae but acrylic itself has protection.  Why you have to keep waxing them to protect the paint.  Factory cars then were not clear coated, but custom paint was.
One can spot in/repair those defects if they know what they're doing, so it's
not always a re-paint.  I even level touch up paints spots.  You have to set your expectations correctly for the results that can be achieved with what you have. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: fishnjim on February 27, 2023, 11:33:03 AMGlazing is generally for after surface treatment...

That is generally true however Meguiar's No 7 can also be used as first step rejuvenation of lacquer that had become dried out after many years of neglect. With an original paint Saxony Red '79 I had, heavy compounding restored the shine initially but returned to being just as dull as it had been after it sat overnight. On another panel I followed Goirot Garage's advice and applied No 7 first - leaving on for 24 hours so it can "moisturize" the paint. After that the paint stopped going dull after being compounded.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: fishnjim on February 27, 2023, 11:33:03 AMGlazing is generally for after surface treatment, 
Have You tried it? First You use clay, then #7, then speed Glaze 80 (has abrasative) then wax etc. #7 is a really good start

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 27, 2023, 11:51:35 AMThat is generally true however Meguiar's No 7 can also be used as first step rejuvenation of lacquer that had become dried out after many years of neglect. With an original paint Saxony Red '79 I had, heavy compounding restored the shine initially but returned to being just as dull as it had been after it sat overnight. On another panel I followed Goirot Garage's advice and applied No 7 first - leaving on for 24 hours so it can "moisturize" the paint. After that the paint stopped going dull after being compounded.   
Is magic! Gonna use speed glaze 80 and then wax. When it gets warmer outside. Its still snow here

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

How do you apply this #7? By hand? Buffer?
Our 55 has original paint but I am afraid to be to aggressive.
I like the idea of letting it sit for 24 hours to moisten the paint-- I can get ours to shine, but it goes away after a few days.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

David Greenburg

Quote from: Cadillac1967inthenorth on February 27, 2023, 02:03:02 AMDo you use wax or any other product to protect the laquer? #7 needs some kind of top layer.

Yes; I use a good carnauba wax on top of it. Seems like everyone has their favorite. I like Pinnacle Souverain
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Jeff Rose CLC #28373 on February 27, 2023, 11:34:35 PMHow do you apply this #7? By hand? Buffer?
Our 55 has original paint but I am afraid to be to aggressive.
I like the idea of letting it sit for 24 hours to moisten the paint-- I can get ours to shine, but it goes away after a few days.
Jeff R

By hand. Its very gentle. First You clean car. Then You use Detailing clay. Then You apply #7. Seal with a wax that You like

David Greenburg

Definitely by hand if you're talking about original paint on a car that's 50+ years old. Think of the #7 treatment more as feeding the paint rather than paint correction.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville