News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 hydramatic trans knocking noise

Started by Renato, March 03, 2023, 03:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renato

Gentlemen,

I have a strange problem with my 57 transmission. It works and shift fine, but it has a knocking noise in middle-high rpm. It sound like a steel ball knocking in the transmission. If I put in N position at 50 mph the noise disappear. After I shift it to Dr it comes again. So I1m sure it comes from my trans. Anybody have any idea what could it be?

Thank you!
R. Bognar

Roger Zimmermann

It's not the drive shaft? I cannot imagine how a transmission can do a knocking noise in a specific range. If you put the selector in D3 do you still have the noise, or at a lower speed (like RPM related)?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Renato

Hi Roger,

I changed the output shaft on the trans. It was weared. I also put new U joints. I will lift it up to see what's going on.
R. Bognar

Roger Zimmermann

Did you check the central bearing from the drive shaft?
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dn010

I would also suspect the support bearing, mine was making noise until replaced many years ago. The reason the noise disappears in neutral is that the driveshaft is turning freely and not under torque from the transmission.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

V63

Renato

Mountings new, i will check the rear bearing tomorrow. Thank you
R. Bognar

Burt6666

Renato

Good news! The drive shaft knocked the trans. rear housing. There was a small dent and touched the shaft. Thank you everbody
R. Bognar

Chopper1942

I don't quite understand how the driveshaft would hit the trans rear housing and dent it and make the knocking noise only when there is a load on the drivetrain. The front driveshaft yoke should never move far enough to hit the trans housing. The front driveshaft is held in basically a stationary position by the center bearing.  The only way for this to happen is if the splines at the center bearing are dry and do not slip and the rubber in the center support is bad.  then when the suspension moves up and down it could push the front driveshaft forward.  Normally the yoke sits back about 1"-1 1/2".  Strange? 

Dave Shepherd

Quote from: Chopper1942 on March 09, 2023, 03:53:41 PMI don't quite understand how the driveshaft would hit the trans rear housing and dent it and make the knocking noise only when there is a load on the drivetrain. The front driveshaft yoke should never move far enough to hit the trans housing. The front driveshaft is held in basically a stationary position by the center bearing.  The only way for this to happen is if the splines at the center bearing are dry and do not slip and the rubber in the center support is bad.  then when the suspension moves up and down it could push the front driveshaft forward.  Normally the yoke sits back about 1"-1 1/2".  Strange? 
Agreed, plus " a dent in the housing" can't  see that happening.

Chopper1942

I think Burt6666 is on the right path.  I have seen loose converter bolts and loose flywheel bolts cause the noise that Renato describes.  This would be my guess as best place to start, since I can't hear the noise and comfirm where it is comming from.

Roger Zimmermann

Just for your information, those cars have a fluid coupling, not a torque converter. However, your thinking about loose nuts is something to consider.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chopper1942

Yes, I know.  Miss spoken in the heat of responding to a 57 Hydra-matic issue. What I stated applies to all automatic transmissions and some "standard" transmissions whether they have a fluid clutch, fluid coupling, or a torque converter. Still, if one of the multiple bolts holding the fluid coupling together is loose it can make contact in the "bell housing". Especially if there is excessive crankshaft end play.