News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

54, 55, 56 Optima red top battery

Started by Hillbillycat, May 10, 2023, 06:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillbillycat

Do two Optima 6v red top batteries wired in series really fit the tray of my 1956.
The 3EE seems kinda snug already, but two Optimas will be 2cm longer.

Who did this and can tell if it works.

Maybe the Optimas need trimming off of the tabs on the bottom but I don´t know if that´s possible.

Input welcome.
3EE´s not easy to buy in Germany. Red Top is.

Any does the orignal hold down bracket secure the Optimas or would I need to fab a new one?

Many thanks in advance

J. Gomez

Quote from: Hillbillycat on May 10, 2023, 06:55:57 AMDo two Optima 6v red top batteries wired in series really fit the tray of my 1956.
The 3EE seems kinda snug already, but two Optimas will be 2cm longer.

Who did this and can tell if it works.

Maybe the Optimas need trimming off of the tabs on the bottom but I don´t know if that´s possible.

Input welcome.
3EE´s not easy to buy in Germany. Red Top is.

Any does the orignal hold down bracket secure the Optimas or would I need to fab a new one?

Many thanks in advance

If you are looking for "functionality" and not "originality" you could also look at the 51R group.  ;)
 These will fit in the original tray area as well as the cables length, however you won't be able to use the original mounting bracket for the 3EE type.

I'm using one in mine and had a plastic battery tray to fit the 51R series modified allowing me to strap it to the original tray.

The 51R gives you a bit extra CCA and is much lighter versus the 3EE or 3EH if you ever need to dig it up from the "black-hole" for replacement.   ;D

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Renato

Hello,

I'm in the same situation (Cheers from Europe). I bought the car with a tiny asian battery, but it's not enough when the engine warm and the resistant bigger. My idea was the same to pairing 2 6 volts battery, but the only way was Optima. Optima 6V batteries are very expensive. I found a usable Banner battery, but I1m not sure to fit it. I'm afraid the old dynamo will kill the EFB type battery.

Check it:

Banner Running Bull 55515
R. Bognar

Roger Zimmermann

It seems that those long batteries are used (or were used) in some industrial machines like forklift trucks.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on May 14, 2023, 02:50:59 AMIt seems that those long batteries are used (or were used) in some industrial machines like forklift trucks.

Yes, that is why they are sometimes called pallet batteries. The military is or was a user of these batteries as well. Another name is tractor battery as some farm machines use them or so I am told. Clay/Lexi

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

54 are 12 volt. I've not had any great problem buying the correct battery for my 54 here in England. It is known as a forklift truck battery here. I'm sure they will be used in mainland Europe as well. Phil

Hillbillycat

I found this shop and ordered one from them.
Looks more like it than two Optimas, anyway. I´d have hated to see them red tops every time I dive into the bay.

https://oldtimer-batterie-service.de/epages/b74b0c2d-5f2b-4351-ae44-bc5835af0e40.sf/de_DE/?ObjectID=6373606

Asked them for yellow caps instead of the red ones to get more Delco looks out of it and they said they can provice yellow caps. How cool ist that? Delco sticker on the side and you´re almost there lookswise.
I´ll post a few pics when I recieve the battery and when it´s installed.
Sidenote - you can´t buy battery acid here in Germany anymore. Only automotive shops can. So I have to take it to a shop for filling.

phildeville@cox.net

Here's a possible option to get dry cell motorcycle batteries in a 3EEE case
3EEE battery upgrade 1.23.JPG I've done it for years3EEE battery upgrade 1.23.JPG
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

Hillbillycat

Finally, here are the pics with the battery from the supplier for classic car batteries here in Germany. It is a hard rubber casing filled with tar.....not sure how that will turn out with the exhaust manifold so close. Hope it works well.

Enjoy.
The crude wire mess is for the marten repellent.-

Oh, maybe somebody knows what these four screws on the RH inner Fender were used for (pic #1)?