News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

29 Cadillac fan belt tension

Started by john29cad, May 12, 2023, 12:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john29cad

Would like some help in understanding the correct way to tighten the fan belt on my 29 Cadillac.  I'm trying to brace the pulley with a heavy board, but need to be careful I don't put to much pressure on the pulley.  Any better ideas welcome.
Thanks,
John

Chris Cummings

Check page 42 of your shop manual.  It shows how to measure 5/8" deflection.

Best regards,

Chris Cummings

john29cad

Thanks Chris for responding.
I saw that in the manual, but it doesn't go into any description of how to actually tighten it. I'm sure they had a tool they used back in the day.  I'm thinking of putting a very small jack under the pully and trying to lift it that way, or using a pry bar being careful not to break anything.  The belt doesn't have to be super tight and if I follow the 5/8" sag requirement I should be good.
BTW, thanks for recommending the DC clock man, he has my clock and a parts clock and well on his way to fixing it.  It's quite a challenge, he's 90, but really wanted to try and fix it, when most said no way.
John

Chris Cummings

John,

Johan Boltendal is a very knowledgeable fellow for your vintage.  He's a CLC member in The Netherlands.

I'm glad you got together with Alan Compton.  He's really good - fixed two Jaeger wind-up clocks for my car.  I wind them every day, just to make sure they don't get lazy.

Best regards,

Chris

john29cad

Thanks for the reference to Johan.  We've spoken over the phone and on email. He's been super helpful, as a matter of fact, I'm reaching out to him on something else.
John

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Took a look at my 29 today....not long ago I had to change out a bad fan bearing....

I got a long pry bar and rested it on the exhaust manifold so I could push up on that big nut's washer...there is plenty of room for travel in that fan bracket....

Hope this helps

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

john29cad

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a shot. 
Thanks for the pics too.
John

V63

I use a ratcheting tie strap, utilize  a 2x4 on folded towels atop radiator and cowl or perpendicular across radiator tie bars...

Loosen and Lubricate the adjusting slide area.

✅ the idea is to PULL the assembly UP to exact desired tension. Secure fastener.

Works very well with maintaining great control.