News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

39 LaSalle - WDO Rebuild Service Recommendation

Started by LaSalle39, May 16, 2023, 12:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaSalle39

Hi All: Long Time Cad and LaSalle owner.  I am pretty good at carb rebuilding myself... but this WDO and my attempts to rebuild it (well.. take apart, clean, put back together using same parts that look in quite good condition) has been showing me no love at all. Ugggg.

So.. much as I hate to... I have decided that someone that really knows these WDO's should rebuild it.

I tried search on the site.. but not getting any results.

Can anyone recommend a well known and tested WDO carb rebuilder ? I don't need the 'restoration', replating, etc. The carb looks quite nice as is. Just want a quality rebuild.

Any suggestions ?  If in the MA area even the better.

Thanks so much

Jim

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

harry s

Larry Isgrow on Long Island does a good job on that carb. Pretty quick turnaround.  Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

LaSalle5019

I bought a carb kit from Jon Hargrove.
https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbshop_kits.htm

And have the metering rod gauges and a couple of tools if you want to borrow them.
Scott

LaSalle39

Hi All;:  Thanks all for these tips ! I will follow up tomorrow during the day with some phone calls.

harry s;  I found this # for Larry's via a web search... (516) 783-1041 I'll try calling it. No website that I found.

LaSalle5019;  Thanks so much for that offer of the tools. I tried doing a cleaning myself and reassemble using the old parts... simply putting all back as it came apart. Cleaned it so many times it has to be clear of any obstructions. Paid real close attention to passageways, etc. Used a thin wire through orifices, etc.  It had the classic symptom of running worse and worse over a year+... fuel starved under moderate load. Know it well from my other classics. Fuel pressure good, it has a 6v elec fuel pump.  But having no video on how to rebuild these WDO's and scant written info, I am thinking trying again may be more wasted time to try myself after I buy a kit. Like maybe there is a o-ring that had deteriorated and is missing so I am just putting it back together with the same issue... not knowing enough about these carbs. I did come across an 'carb kit' exploded view of the WDO on-line, but the image not doing any justice at a detail level. Hard to make out the actual order of things. But it is clearly fuel starved.  Yes... percolation is an issue (who doesn't have it on these era Cads and LaSalles), but even with the engine cool it still bogs / fuel starves under a load.. driving up a hill for example. Without a rod gauge on the last attempt I did raise the metering rods a bit in hopes to let more fuel flow, but no avail. I saw some lit on how to adjust w/o the benefit of the tool. It has been a few months, but as I recall to line up the scribe / recess circumference line on the metering rods with the top of the metering rod bore as I recall.

KenZ

A few years back I had my Stromberg rebuilt by the Old Carb Doctor in North Carolina.  He is very knowledgeable and willing to discuss your carb issues.  May take awhile and of course not cheap but results were positive.  Good Luck!     

Jay Friedman

I agree with Harry's recommendation of Larry Isgro.  He has a rebuilt several carbs for me to my total satisfaction. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

LaSalle39

Hi All:  Just an update and again a 'thanks' to all whom replied. I spoke with Larry I on the phone earlier this week and have sent off to him the WDO from my 39 LaSalle. I'll keep all posted on how it all works out. In the meantime I'll dig up and share some pics of my 64 Eldo and the 39 LaSalle.  Thanks !  Jim20210802_143600.jpg