News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Why so cheap?

Started by MJ Donnelly #19920, December 31, 2004, 01:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave MacGregor #18998

Read the descripion more carefully before all but knocking this seller.  From what I gather, the seller says in the ad, hes not trying to pass of the engine as a 462, but says the following, ...

"The engine is believed to be a 429 V8, however, the air cleaner reads 472 Cadillac which is a newer engine size.  As far as the owner knows the engine has never been rebuilt just well maintained over the years, it currently runs and drives strong."

He then goes on and mentions the 429 again and then the condition of the car.

Whatever anyone is finding out about the engine and/or figuring out about it from the pictures and/or reading into and so on about his description from above and further on and saying the guy is trying to pass of a 472 is wrong from what I can see.

I think think the guy is trying to be as honost as possible here and does and even points out the descrepency here about the 429/472 himself almost right off!

No, Im not an expert at Cadillacs and only one myself, but so far from the ad, I see the bidding as pretty reasonable for most any car of that condition and age, especially for an older on of such significance as the first year of a front wheel drive Eldo.  O.K., so I personally dont four drum breaks, the expensive bearing jobs, and the special perforated leather, but thats another story for those striving for perfection and/or preserving one of Cadillacs gems in production history and I certainly hope that someone with an interest and wallet can do so for future generations to enjoy just like all the other Cadillacs we all have in our club right now and on into the future.

Dave

Dick Heller

What is the problem with the 67 FWD bearings?

David #19063

I dont know.  Personally, I think $3500 is already pricey for this car.  130k miles, engine is replace with different CID engine.   Someone could be buying a headache...not to mention the rust.

I am basing this on trying to sell my 43,000 mile original 68 CDV for nearly a year.  Now, though this was not a perfect museum piece, it was rust free, cold AC, nice white leather with no tears or rips, shiney orginal paint, etc.

It finally sold this past May for $4500.  People liked at the cruise nights and car shows...but most people seem to want a A-body sized car.  "Its too big."  And basically, it was (obviously) not a Chevy.

If this guy can get over $3500 for this 67 Eldo, he should feel very very lucky.

But then again, most people would rather spend $1500-$3500 on a borderline basket case than $5000-$8000 on a nice car...thinking they can do the work or repairs and just getting upside down in a car.

Pesonally, my ceiling for this 67 would have been about $1500.

JMO.

David

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Im curious as to why there is a small window crank (like a vent window crank) on the rear drivers side panel showing in three of the pictures?  Werent the small, back side windows power operated?

Dick Heller

Power windows were optional on the 67 Eldorado, seems kind of tacky.

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks, Dick, for the reply, but Im still confused ..... this car has power front windows ........ how could the back windows be manual?  Please dont tell me that a Cadillac Eldorado for 1967 came with standard power windows in the front with manuals in the back unless ordered otherwise.

Jack.

Steve B

I bought a very straight 67 with the 429 blown. 83K original, -I found a rusty 70 with a couple thou. less miles. I replaced the brakes completely -freshened the engine [timing set -gaskets -pumps ect] new tires repaired inoperable electric windows/other small things resealed the 70 trans -new shocks front and rear [all 4 of the rears]. The list goes on. I spent $1500 buying the car and with everything all totaled when done I had $4500 -$4800 in it. The only labor I paid for was tire work and a front end alignment. I simply acumulated to many toys/projects and now Im cornered. So Ive tried a little to sell one or two. Nuetral parties have told me the 67 is a $5000 car. ?? Ive asked $4500 and have dropped to $3500. At one point I told a guy over the phone, when I knew he wanted it, Id take $3200, -he almost bought it, but said he also had storage woes so its still here. I need elbow room not the cash. Ive driven it about 2500 miles, -its wonderfull to drive and people stare/ask questions -I feel miserable about selling it when I drive it. Its as slick as the Ebay 67/I think my interior is nicer. Noone grabs it??  Some guys that deal in old cars ask me why I cant get $3500 out of it, -they ask "Whats Wrong"? I suppose Im a lousy salesman. Ive seen people pay big $$ on Ebay for trim that looks pitifull compared to whats on this car. No offense to 429 fans but I think I did the car a favor changing it to the 472/500 family. Some teen agers have admired it and say they want ot try and gather the $$, -then comes the question, -"What kind of Gas Mileage does it get"? I think it messes with there head when I say I dont know, -I never cared about it. I emailed that guy with the Ebay 67 and told him what engine he had, -at least it certainly isnt a 429. He added to the description that he had found it was in fact a 472, -he could have done better modifing the auction though. Happy New Year!

Steve B

Hadnt heard of power windows being optional?? All 67-70 Eldos Ive looked at were power. In fact I dont recall seeing a manual windowed Cadillac. I know of course they existed in or before the fiftys.

Johnny

Quote from: Jack McClow CLC #15840Thanks, Dick, for the reply, but Im still confused ..... this car has power front windows ........ how could the back windows be manual?  Please dont tell me that a Cadillac Eldorado for 1967 came with standard power windows in the front with manuals in the back unless ordered otherwise.

Jack.

I seem to remember that since the rear windows went into the side roof panels instead of down into the body, it had to be manually done.

Johnny

Quote from: Steve BHadnt heard of power windows being optional?? All 67-70 Eldos Ive looked at were power. In fact I dont recall seeing a manual windowed Cadillac. I know of course they existed in or before the fiftys.

Strange as it might seem, I dont believe power windows became standard until sometime in the late 60s or early 70s.  In 67 manual windows were standard on the Calais series, power windows were standard on the rest of the line.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Thanks to a 37 year-old brochure, I have an answer to the power windows/power vent windows question. I have a 68 brochure (the one my parents got when they bought a new SDV that year)and in the Calais section it says, "Both Calais models for 1968 NOW (my emphasis) include, as standard equipment, power windows",so as late as 67 you could buy a Cadillac with manual windows. In the Fleetwood Eldorado section, it says "the power control panel on each door, above, controls both the side and rear quarter windows" (just a regular four-window control on the vertical panel). In the optional equipment section, no. 7 says "power vent windows can be operated from a convenient control panel.  Front and rear, standard on the Fleetwood Sixty Special and Brougham, rear quarter on Eldorado and front on Seventy-Five sedan". Since they were standard in 68 and the ad shows pictures of manual rear cranks in 67, apparently 68 was the first year they were standard. I was also surprised to discover that the seat bolsters in cloth-upholstered FLEETWOOD Eldorados were vinyl, not leather. Someone commented on front-only power windows. They were pretty common in the early 50s (I have an ad for the 51 Chrysler Imperial convertible and it clearly shows power window controls on the drivers door and a crank in the rear). This was really inconvenient in convertibles and very strangely is still the way Chrysler/Dodge Neons come.The downsized GM intermediates introduced for 78 had no way at all to lower the rear windows on sedans and this continued for several more years. The middle of the door had an upholstered inset where the window mechanism would have been. GM touted this as increasing rear-seat shoulder room, but it was clearly just a way for them to save money. The rear-quarter vent panes were able to be opened, either manually or electrically on power-window cars. My aunt and uncle bought a loaded 80 Cutlass Brougham sedan and when they got home with it, they called their salesman to find out how to lower the rear windows and were told they couldnt.

Dick Heller

They were optional on 67 Eldorado.  I believe all the other Cadillac models save for Calais, all had manual front vents with power vents being were optional.

Doug

Steve - is your 67 a Eldo or CDV?  Thanks Doug

Johnny

Quote from: Dick HellerThey were optional on 67 Eldorado.  I believe all the other Cadillac models save for Calais, all had manual front vents with power vents being were optional.

The 67 Eldorado did not have front vent windows.

Steve B

Dick Heller

Agree

Quote from: Johnny
Quote from: Dick HellerThey were optional on 67 Eldorado.  I believe all the other Cadillac models save for Calais, all had manual front vents with power vents being were optional.

The 67 Eldorado did not have front vent windows.

Steve Crum 20999

Clearly this tradition continued at GM. My 87 Chevy Eurosport VR, 89 Buick LeSabre Coupe and my 92 Eldorado had/have rear 1/4 windows that dont move by design.

densie 20352

Am I imagining things, or:

Have the plastic parts just been dyed?  With a spray can?

Has it been painted without any sanding or prep work?

Is the paint thin and fisheyed near the edge of the rear fender, like there was some grease or something on it that kept it from sticking?

Is the paint orange peeled on the trunk?

Is rust forming around every orifice?

Looking under the hood, does it look like it has 30k original miles?

It would be worth more to me without the paint job, so I could see what was underneath that paint.  I am very suspicious of a car that has had a cruddy paint job done right before putting it up for sale.

-densie

Cadiac

That little surface rust they see in the dash closeup, -"Humidity" and 37-38 years.