News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

39-7529

Started by myren kohlhorst #17794, January 07, 2005, 07:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robt.Vonheck via SanDiego Calif.

Hello Myren:    -yes, although not a V16, believe they made this same model in the LaSalle which would probably be at least as rare a survivor;  -however, in looking at the pictures, hope the lucky buyer has the wherewithall to replace that pressurized/Fuel-line with a proper all-metal line between the fuel-pump and carburetor, -before disaster strikes (which is why these cars become increasingly rare)....    ~Bob vH

Jon Riley

Although Lasalle did have a 4 door convertible it was no where near as big as this monster.  In fact, this car is much closer to the V16s of that year, inthat, both ride on a 141" wheel base and the body shells are similar.  So similar, in fact, that many of these large series 75 open cars of the late 30s have grown 8 cylinders (for a total of 16 cylinders) and had the correct trim and front facia added.    

Mike #19861

I did look at this one. A very nice survivor (OOPS!)

The 75, 80 and 90 series cars shared the same bodywork these years, and the same wheelbase. In fact, the second generation V-16 was specifically designed with the 135 degree cylinder angle so that it would tuck in under the toe boards of this chassis without an increase in wheelbase or other modifications.

Given the rarity of this engine, Ill bet that only a very limited few really had this conversion, as relatively easy at it would seem.

Mike

Mike

This same car was available for sale at the Hershey Red Field in 2004. The asking price was 35,000 if I recall correctly, but we were told by the person in charge that the vehicle was sold when we iquired about the car and we were told not to "monkey" the car. It seemed very nice and original indeed, and had just one jump seat in the back (black leather). The same vehicle was also in the Hershey car show on Saturday and presented by a person who claimed he had owned it for some time and driven it occasionally in tours. In my opinion one of the best barn fresh 38-39 Conv Sedans available that year (I think there were 3-4 in different stages of originality/restoration).

R.Vonheck

Jon:  -ok, will take your word for it that the 39LaSalle/4dr.convert. had a less than 141"-wb, --although i know the 39LaSalle/Commercial-chassis was substantially longer at about  146"(will send side-view picture to anyone curious to see this grossen chassisnearly half a block long!).... ~Bob vH  

baxter culver

Hmmmm.  If one was to pay $35K for this car, what would the total investment be after paint,upholstery, brightwork, wiring, mechanical restoration, and new wide whites?  Sorry, I thought $16K was on the margin when it was first on e-Bay, and that was below the reserve.  Am I nuts or in the ballpark??