News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948-9 fog light reflector restoration Tip of the Day

Started by Jeff Maltby #4194, January 09, 2005, 02:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby #4194

By Bill Woodman April 1977 Self Starter.

The years have gradually discolored the reflectors in these units to a yellowish-brown color. The reflectors, I found out, were actually silver plated then coated with a clear preservative. To restore-disassemble the reflector and remove the clear coating with a water soluble paint stripper. Use silver polish and recoat with a clear plastic spray. They should look like new after this procedure. This info may apply to earlier and later models ?

P.S. I just tried this on my one of my virgin 49 coupe fog light reflectors and it works as advertised in 2005.

MrGoldWing-49caddes CLC 4194

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

I may pull my 47s and see if this works.  Thanks for the tip!

Rhino 21150

My 38 buckets appear to be chrome plated brass. Anyone know for sure? A local plater said (according to size) he would replate for $50 per pair.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Rhino,

Back in olden times the Nickel process was used to coat the reflectors of lights, and was the only process available, until the Chrome Plating was invented.   This gave off a better reflection, but required occasional polishing to restore to good condition.

The Nickel process is the step before Chrome Plating, and it is the Chrome Plating process that protects the Nickel from tarnishing.

I am not exactly sure when the process of Chrome Plating actually was utilised on Headlight reflectors in place of just Nickel, if at all.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Rhino,

I was reminded by an informed gentleman that I forgot to mention the main process for headlight reflectors, and that being Silvering.

Chrome Plating was never used for light reflectors, and I apologise for mentioning that the headlight reflectors were  Chromed.

The Chrome Plating process is reserved for enhancing the Nickel Plating in normal vehicle brightwork.   The Chrome plating allowed things like Grilles and Bumper Bars to be constantly shiny, whereas any part Nickel Plated required constant polishing to retain the shine.

Bruce,
The Apologetic Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Rhino 21150

My buckets have the distinctive bluish tint of chrome. This may not be original! The bucket is clearly brass and would be easy to nickel and chrome. The buckets may not be original! A local silversmith will plate them but he wants $300. Ouch! I put halogen bulbs in there and I may not bother replating anytime soon. They are plenty bright as is, even though some of the plating is no longer there. Also, keep in mind the heat of a halogen may cook a clear coating such as acrylic.
Thanks for the info!

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

I am glad that you clarified this, Bruce, as the Silver-plate Anti-Slander society was gearing up to bring on a lawsuit. We must watch what we say these days...

Brian Rachlin

When I restored my Packard a few years ago, it took a while to locate all of the proper headlight parts.  I had the reflectors re-silvered by a place called Steves Automotive in either Oregon, or Washington State, I cant recall.

The cost was reasonable, and the headlights were extremely bright after I installed them, so I would highly recommend them, whatever their process is.

They are regular advertisers in Hemmings and Old Cars Weekly.

Good Luck,

Brian