News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carrying height/caster angle

Started by Denise McCracken 20352, January 10, 2005, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denise McCracken 20352

If I raise the height of the rear of the vehicle, does the steering caster angle become more positive, or more negative?

thanks

-densie

Bill Ingler #7799

It all depends if the car alignment calls for postive or negative caster. Assume the car`s specs call for a positive caster.If the rear of the car is made higher than the designated trim height called for in the manual, then the front of the car moves to a less positive caster. Postive caster is the amount the king pin is tilted back, measured in degrees. Negative caster is just the reverse of the above.

Mike #19861

This is an easy way to determine the direction of negative caster and camber:

I               I
      I__> <  __I

Using your index fingers and thumbs pointing towards the front to the car, where your thumbs are pointing inwards. Your thumbs would indicate negative camber in the direction which they point, and your index fingers would indicate negative caster in the direction which they point. This being the relationship of the upper bal joints to the lower.

Bill being correct when he says you will gain more negative caster by raising the rear of the car. But given the wheelbase of the car, it would not affefct it adversely unless it was raised by a signicicant amount.

Mike